Cirolanid isopod? Help?

Blue Cheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thought on the six line as I only had the one isopod which was wierd,I do have a six line and maybe that was why
Fwiw all the ugly that I get has been on the dry sand not on my Florida rock

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm a six line. That's a thought. I wonder if I could do a halichoeres wrasse. I would need to add some sand somewhere for it but... Oh and I also thought six lines were super aggressive.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm a six line. That's a thought. I wonder if I could do a halichoeres wrasse. I would need to add some sand somewhere for it but... Oh and I also thought six lines were super aggressive.
I have one, and its a model citizen. I admit i was worried at first given their reputation, But it spends its days swimming in and out of all the rock work and inspecting every coral every 5 minutes looking for morsels.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one, and its a model citizen. I admit i was worried at first given their reputation, But it spends its days swimming in and out of all the rock work and inspecting every coral every 5 minutes looking for morsels.
But yes any H. wrasse will consume lots of critters.

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But yes any H. wrasse will consume lots of critters.

Hmm okay, I'll probably go that route. I've gotta figure out the sand thing. I'll do some more reading on the 6 line wrasse too. Maybe I'll just do both. lol

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently found one in my live rock after quarantining it for months,luckily it was just one so far and never found it on a fish however I have found they are attracted to yellow,a yellow fish to pull and freshwater dip them off and a bottle trap every night with shrimp in it is probably your best way
Note that in the pic by the OP, the pod is attached to the yellow tail of the fish...

MPCReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also dealt with these with FL live rock. Caught upwards of 30-40 or more through nightly trapping with shrimp in inverted bottle top trap. Was nervous about adding fish, but once the trapping slowed way down went ahead and added with no affects whatsoever. Do have a Melanaurus and a yellow corris wrasse so maybe they helped eradicate them? Anyway, have not had any issues and have not seen any attached to fish in the 18 months or so since adding fish. Keep at it, and you can beat them.

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also dealt with these with FL live rock. Caught upwards of 30-40 or more through nightly trapping with shrimp in inverted bottle top trap. Was nervous about adding fish, but once the trapping slowed way down went ahead and added with no affects whatsoever. Do have a Melanaurus and a yellow corris wrasse so maybe they helped eradicate them? Anyway, have not had any issues and have not seen any attached to fish in the 18 months or so since adding fish. Keep at it, and you can beat them.
Wow! Awesome to hear. Hopefully I'm nearing the end of this.

Blue Cheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see any in your filter socks,a few others had found them in their socks

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also dealing with this issue. They came in on an order of liverock from TBS at the beginning of August. After trying to introduce my first pair of clownfish this past weekend I noticed a few attach to each clown. I've got a temp tank setup I moved them to while I begin the isopods hunt. Did you have any success with getting them out of your tank?
I recently received live rock from TBS. Is this what your bad pods looked like?
7925FE77-759A-4694-A717-3DF0F3DFF204.jpeg

65065456-DD41-4B23-9102-ECCCBEB140F0.jpeg

531A862A-EF2E-4641-9581-C553CBF1DC5E.jpeg

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently received live rock from TBS. Is this what your bad pods looked like?
7925FE77-759A-4694-A717-3DF0F3DFF204.jpeg

65065456-DD41-4B23-9102-ECCCBEB140F0.jpeg

531A862A-EF2E-4641-9581-C553CBF1DC5E.jpeg

That is exactly them. Not going to lie, they're a pain to deal with. I've finally whittled them down to the point I will see the odd one or two come out at about 30 to 45 minutes after lights out. I've been using a long handled brine shrimp net to net them. They swim very poorly and I have the flow turned up which really makes catching them easy. Otherwise with low flow they can scoot around and try to get to their intended target alot easier. Good luck, hopefully you'll only have a couple and you can rid yourself of these fairly quickly.

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly them. Not going to lie, they're a pain to deal with. I've finally whittled them down to the point I will see the odd one or two come out at about 30 to 45 minutes after lights out. I've been using a long handled brine shrimp net to net them. They swim very poorly and I have the flow turned up which really makes catching them easy. Otherwise with low flow they can scoot around and try to get to their intended target alot easier. Good luck, hopefully you'll only have a couple and you can rid yourself of these fairly quickly.
I don’t have any fish in the tank yet, and so far I’ve only seen this single isopod. I say that, but I don’t know how I’d distinguish one from another haha.

I’ve read through your thread and appreciate the great advice on how to deal wit my these. Much appreciated!

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any fish in the tank yet, and so far I’ve only seen this single isopod. I say that, but I don’t know how I’d distinguish one from another haha.

I’ve read through your thread and appreciate the great advice on how to deal wit my these. Much appreciated!
What's funny, was that I had my tank with just live rock for a month and I had only added copepods. I would look in the tank at night and see all this stuff swimming around and think wow look at all those amphipods and copepods. Lol On a quick side note keep your eyes peeled for gorilla crabs too, I've pulled 4 out of the tank so far and I just saw two more molts show up in the tank. I have no clue how I ended up with so many in 20 lbs of live rock. haha

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's funny, was that I had my tank with just live rock for a month and I had only added copepods. I would look in the tank at night and see all this stuff swimming around and think wow look at all those amphipods and copepods. Lol On a quick side note keep your eyes peeled for gorilla crabs too, I've pulled 4 out of the tank so far and I just saw two more molts show up in the tank. I have no clue how I ended up with so many in 20 lbs of live rock. haha
Good to know. If you check out my build thread, I’ve been overzealous in photographing and making videos of most every invert I’ve come across from the live rock. To the best of my knowledge, no gorilla crabs yet. I have found a shellback crab and what I believe to be some kind of white porcelain crab.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back