Cirolanid Isopod - Just live with them, or introduce more Predators? (Blue Damsel)

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know I had these until recently. I just got back from a 3-week vacation and now I see these Isos in the early morning whilst the room is still dark, before they unlatch from the fish. (They only latch onto my sailfin tang and two tomato clownfish). They leave my group of 5 blue damsels alone, and don't seem to sit on my volition lionfish, whom I monitor the most. Sizes of the isopods range from between about 1cm to 1mm. So it seems they have been established for a while.

Whilst away, I cut the feeding schedule back to a little less than half of what I usually give, and I am thinking the drop in nutrients and food might have caused them to come out and latch onto the fish? If it works that way?

All the fish are healthy, plump, very active feeders, no lesions or torn fins. (Had them all for about a year now, when I set up the tank).
They all sleep in their respective caves/rock work/sand. (So the fish haven't moved to the surface to avoid the Isos) and dont seem to pay them any attention.
It is impossible to catch the clowns to remove the Isos, but I have been catching the tang as he is much larger, and remove between 1 and 3 of them each morning from the tang. However, I am worried that the stress the tang will face each morning will be more detrimental to his health than simply leaving them or finding another method.

My Questions:
- Should I just leave them and hope going back to a normal regime will stabilize the system again?
- Shall I add more Damsels? (Another 5?) The Isos seem to avoid the blue damsels like the plague. When the Isos leave the clowns in the early morning the Blue Damsels chase them ferociously trying to catch them before they hide back in the rock work/substrate. I have seen what appears to be the Damsels eating them when they catch the smaller ones (if the smaller ones are Isos). The Isos seem to swim quite erratically and all over the place, and the Damels are torn between chasing them and chasing each other.
- The "trap method" seems to have very mixed reviews and limited success when I searched online.

Basic Tanks Specs:

380L (1.5m long) aquarium.
Established for a year now.
Lots of live rock work buried and protruding from a deep sand bed, with sand collected directly from the beach here (Dubai) and put straight into tank (I love all the hitchhikers and stuff that come with it, apart from these Cirolanids lol). So removing rocks to catch fish is not an option unless I destroy the tank.

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know I had these until recently. I just got back from a 3-week vacation and now I see these Isos in the early morning whilst the room is still dark, before they unlatch from the fish. (They only latch onto my sailfin tang and two tomato clownfish). They leave my group of 5 blue damsels alone, and don't seem to sit on my volition lionfish, whom I monitor the most. Sizes of the isopods range from between about 1cm to 1mm. So it seems they have been established for a while.

Whilst away, I cut the feeding schedule back to a little less than half of what I usually give, and I am thinking the drop in nutrients and food might have caused them to come out and latch onto the fish? If it works that way?

All the fish are healthy, plump, very active feeders, no lesions or torn fins. (Had them all for about a year now, when I set up the tank).
They all sleep in their respective caves/rock work/sand. (So the fish haven't moved to the surface to avoid the Isos) and dont seem to pay them any attention.
It is impossible to catch the clowns to remove the Isos, but I have been catching the tang as he is much larger, and remove between 1 and 3 of them each morning from the tang. However, I am worried that the stress the tang will face each morning will be more detrimental to his health than simply leaving them or finding another method.

My Questions:
- Should I just leave them and hope going back to a normal regime will stabilize the system again?
- Shall I add more Damsels? (Another 5?) The Isos seem to avoid the blue damsels like the plague. When the Isos leave the clowns in the early morning the Blue Damsels chase them ferociously trying to catch them before they hide back in the rock work/substrate. I have seen what appears to be the Damsels eating them when they catch the smaller ones (if the smaller ones are Isos). The Isos seem to swim quite erratically and all over the place, and the Damels are torn between chasing them and chasing each other.
- The "trap method" seems to have very mixed reviews and limited success when I searched online.

Basic Tanks Specs:

380L (1.5m long) aquarium.
Established for a year now.
Lots of live rock work buried and protruding from a deep sand bed, with sand collected directly from the beach here (Dubai) and put straight into tank (I love all the hitchhikers and stuff that come with it, apart from these Cirolanids lol). So removing rocks to catch fish is not an option unless I destroy the tank.
I don't think Demsel eats them. U can go with Six line wrasse or cleaner shrimp. But how will u do that as v Lionfish will eat them. There is no natural Predator of them. Still some empty the tank and then treat. See what others say

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think Demsel eats them. U can go with Six line wrasse or cleaner shrimp. But how will u do that as v Lionfish will eat them. There is no natural Predator of them. Still some empty the tank and then treat. See what others say
Yes I saw this mentioned online about wrasse or cleaner shrimp. Just that my lionfish will most likely eat them :(.
I stay in a 475sqf studio apt, and I have another 750L (1.8m) freshwater tank. I really have no place to put them if I emptied the tank. So emptying tank and taking fish out means getting rid of them sadly.

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a cleaner wrasse would be the best option, unless you do not have any corals; then you could consider dosing a treatment
No corals, but I have loads of little sponges, clams, limpits, snails, bi valves, fan worms, spagetti worms, other worms (no idea what they are), what looks like tiny sea slugs and all sorts of crabs and alot of normal copepods. Would all these other little guys be ok with treatments?

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No corals, but I have loads of little sponges, clams, limpits, snails, bi valves, fan worms, spagetti worms, other worms (no idea what they are), what looks like tiny sea slugs and all sorts of crabs and alot of normal copepods. Would all these other little guys be ok with treatments?
Not likely. Anything that would kill the isopods would likely kill all of the other invertebrates, unfortunately.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes I saw this mentioned online about wrasse or cleaner shrimp. Just that my lionfish will most likely eat them :(.
I stay in a 475sqf studio apt, and I have another 750L (1.8m) freshwater tank. I really have no place to put them if I emptied the tank. So emptying tank and taking fish out means getting rid of them sadly.
Can you rehome your lionfish for a period of time while the shrimp/wrasse can do its work?

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the size of your lionfish? Anything that fits in their mouth will be eaten

Last edited:

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you make a large breeder box style enclosure to put the lionfish in, so it can't eat a potential new wrasse?

I don't think cleaner shrimp will eat cirolanids, and I would be worried that a cleaner wrasse would starve for lack of a large population of fish to clean, but something like a possum wrasse might eat the cirolanids.

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you rehome your lionfish for a period of time while the shrimp/wrasse can do its work?
Thats what I am currently looking into, havent had much luck though:( Could I possibly use a bigger species of wrasse?

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the size of your lionfish? Anything that fits in their mouth will be eaten
Lionfish is 18 - 19cm in length now. The pieces of shrimp and chopped fish I give him are larger than my damsels. So I know he is capable of eating my fish, he just doesnt for some reason. Ignores them. Its a long shot, but I am hoping he will do the same if I get a wrasse.
That being said, would any species of wrasse work? Or is it specifically the six lines that do the best job?

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you make a large breeder box style enclosure to put the lionfish in, so it can't eat a potential new wrasse?

I don't think cleaner shrimp will eat cirolanids, and I would be worried that a cleaner wrasse would starve for lack of a large population of fish to clean, but something like a possum wrasse might eat the cirolanids.
Thank you. This is helpful. I will investigate some of the wrasse options. I was also struggling to imagine how the shrimp would eat these cirolanids.
I will probably be getting a larger sump soon, was thinking of temporality using that to hold the lionfish. It would be about 40gal in size. Although considering all the rock work I have, and tunnels/caves that go into the substrate, I highly doubt I would ever be able to catch the wrasse again once he is in.

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lionfish is 18 - 19cm in length now. The pieces of shrimp and chopped fish I give him are larger than my damsels. So I know he is capable of eating my fish, he just doesnt for some reason. Ignores them. Its a long shot, but I am hoping he will do the same if I get a wrasse.
That being said, would any species of wrasse work? Or is it specifically the six lines that do the best job?
Some just keep them lionfish full so that it may not eat their small fish but that results in fatty liver disease in lionfish so, that's a risk. Six line wrasse can sometime get mean and irritates fish so keep that in mine. It would be best but may be your fish get irritate from that

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some just keep them lionfish full so that it may not eat their small fish but that results in fatty liver disease in lionfish so, that's a risk. Six line wrasse can sometime get mean and irritates fish so keep that in mine. It would be best but may be your fish get irritate from that
Thanks for input :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back