Cirrhilabrus Complexes: Inferiority Need Not Apply

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your experience, how heavily does gender factor in when mixing? For example, say I have a male "green" and two female "yellow" species, would you agree that adding another "green" more timid species will be less likely to be an issue if it's done before the "yellow" transition male? And would it be better if the new addition is female as well, or male?
IME gender doesn't alleviate much. In some cases females can be more aggressive than their male counterpars. Also, Cirrhilabrus have a propensity to transition into males, and it seems fairy wrasses are all too well aware of this.

bobble28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Lubbocks wrasse already, so based off this chart I should be ok with adding an exquisite wrasse right?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed this thread in my catchup over the last couple weeks, but...

I can't tell you how many times I've consulted that chart. Truly, an invaluable resource.

(You're going to have to update one of these years ... they keep finding new species!)

~Bruce
Thanks Bruce. And that kinda sounds like a MACNA topic, yes? ;)
I downloaded this chart on my phone and put a shortcut to in on my home screen. It's awesome! I would love a similar chart for Paracheilinus but I guess they might have different dynamics so a chart might not be as useful.

For the temminckii complex(es?)... Is it one group that has 2 different aggression levels? Or 2 separate ones? Like are cyanopleuria and balteus as closely related as cyanopleuria and punctatus (for example)?
So they are separate groups? I wasn't sure if they were just split based on aggression or if they were actually seperate.
Eh, yes. The same. And separate. :p
It's just a matter of grouping. From a relation perspective, those two groups are pretty close, but from an aggression perspective, there's a difference.
In your experience, how heavily does gender factor in when mixing? For example, say I have a male "green" and two female "yellow" species, would you agree that adding another "green" more timid species will be less likely to be an issue if it's done before the "yellow" transition male? And would it be better if the new addition is female as well, or male?
IME gender doesn't alleviate much. In some cases females can be more aggressive than their male counterpars. Also, Cirrhilabrus have a propensity to transition into males, and it seems fairy wrasses are all too well aware of this.
Agree; gender doesn't matter much.
But mixing "green groups" with "yellow groups" is typically fine, regardless.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing that a flame and hooded wouldn't get along very well?
They are not in the same complex, and neither has a terrible attitude. They should be fine together, though I would try to get the hooded into the dt first.

dgragg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved
Hunter,
I have a 150 gallon mixed reef tank. (48 X 30 X 25) The tank is LPS dominate so lower light and flow. It’s been running for 3 years. Current fish list: Purple tang, Convict Tang, Manderin Goby, Percula Clown, Disbar Anthias, Bimac Anthias, Exquisite Fairy Wrasse Cirrhilabrus exquisitus, and Melanurus Wrasse Halichoeres melanurus.
I’m looking to add a few more wrasses and anthias to the tank. After looking at the chart, I feel confident to add Flame Wrasse Cirrhilabrus jordani and Splendid Fairy Wrasse Cirrhilabrus isosceles. My question comes with the next few wrasses on my list.
1. Diamond-Tail Flasher Wrasse Paracheilinus attenuates
2. Filamented Flasher Wrasse Paracheilinus filamentosus
3. Filamented Flasher Wrasse Paracheilinus Togeanensis
In case it impacts your recommendations, here is the list of Anthias I’m considering.
1. Ventralis Anthias Pseudanthias ventralis
2. Sunburst Anthias Serranocirrhitus latus
3. Purple Queen Anthias Pseudanthias tuka
I’m open to other recommendations. I know some of these fish on my list may be very hard, if not impossible, to source.
Thank you in advance for your thoughts and recommendations. I will await your reply.
David

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fairys and flashers you've selected are fine, however P. tongeanesis is not available in the trade. (it's not a matter of 'hard to source', it's a matter of 'no collection' :))

Mixing them with anthias is not a problem either, but I can't speak much to that compatibility of those various anthias species amongst themselves.

Best of luck!

dgragg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,
Your willingness to share your time, knowledge and experience is what makes this hobby much more enjoyable and successful.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do Naoko wrasse sit on your species of aggressive fair wrasse?
They're in a somewhat aggressive complex to begin with, however this particular species is a bit of an outlier in its complex as it is quite a bit more aggressive than the complex average. So all-in-all, pretty aggressive.

Brogratz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of buying another tank.. this time big enough for more wrasses lol. Based on this chart they all look pretty close to being ok. The one that's close, looks like the Rhomboid and Lineatus. What do you guys think?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of buying another tank.. this time big enough for more wrasses lol. Based on this chart they all look pretty close to being ok. The one that's close, looks like the Rhomboid and Lineatus. What do you guys think?
How big is the tank? Near 200 gallons or more and they're fine together.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting the Red Sea Reefer Peninsula P650, so display is around 150. If I have to choose between them I can :).
That tank is closer to 175g; you should be fine. I kept the two together in a 190 (60x27x27) and it wasn't a problem.

bigroost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a stupid question, but how do I make the chart large enough to read? I'm sure its something simple I am missing but everyway I attempt to enlarge it, it becomes fuzzy.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a stupid question, but how do I make the chart large enough to read? I'm sure its something simple I am missing but every way I attempt to enlarge it, it becomes fuzzy.
This chart is 10 days away from being outdated anyway. :p
I'll make sure the new chart is at a better resolution once uploaded - I didn't upload the current one.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 33.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back