Citron Clown Goby has been acting sick for almost 6 days now

nisemu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He always was swimming around like crazy all day he would always take his evening laps around the tank everyday without fail, and now he doesn't even move when I feed the tank. he just has been laying down on the sand bed not even on the glass or rocks like he usually does he is just sitting on the sand bed breathing extremely heavy and not really eating not picking stuff up and eating it like he usually does and none of my other fish are acting weird or out of the ordinary everything seems just as it always is, except for the goby.
the link to the video that works

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
He always was swimming around like crazy all day he would always take his evening laps around the tank everyday without fail, and now he doesn't even move when I feed the tank. he just has been laying down on the sand bed not even on the glass or rocks like he usually does he is just sitting on the sand bed breathing extremely heavy and not really eating not picking stuff up and eating it like he usually does and none of my other fish are acting weird or out of the ordinary everything seems just as it always is, except for the goby.
Cant open video from some reason. Is fish getting thin?
Can you furnish a you tube video or a couple of still pictures under white lighting?

OP
OP
N

nisemu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• tempImage5u9txY.png
    tempImage5u9txY.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
  • tempImageByf02l.png
    tempImageByf02l.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
  • tempImage9cSzC0.png
    tempImage9cSzC0.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 21

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Fish looks plump which is good. Not sure what foods you are offering but some are mysis, live and frozen brine, LRS nano frenzy and even live pods. As these fish are usually resistant to disease, assure salinity hasnt dropped, ammonia has not become elevated as well as temperature.
Any new fish which may be intimidating it?

OP
OP
N

nisemu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish looks plump which is good. Not sure what foods you are offering but some are mysis, live and frozen brine, LRS nano frenzy and even live pods. As these fish are usually resistant to disease, assure salinity hasnt dropped, ammonia has not become elevated as well as temperature.
no new fish, the salinity is the same its always been, between .26 and .27, I feed prime reef by ocean nutrition, spirulina mysis and spirulina brine

OP
OP
N

nisemu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
temp is the same as usual, which is 81 and ill test ammonia quickly

OP
OP
N

nisemu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ammonia is at .25, not good but not enough to warrant this behavior right??

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the link to the video that works

To me counting (its only a brief video) - the fish is breathing fast. This could be flukes, or another infection, etc. Did you QT the fish, any new additions? Nice fish btw - certainly the behavior is abnormal. Are there other fish in the tank?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
no, you want .025. May explain behavior. Also temp, try to get closer to 80. As temp increase, oxygen levels decrease slightly.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right - your ammonia would not be causing this problem - unless your pH was super high. However - another question is - how old is the tank - you should have zero ammonia.
no new fish, the salinity is the same its always been, between .26 and .27, I feed prime reef by ocean nutrition, spirulina mysis and spirulina brine
assume you mean 1.026, 1.027 which is fine.

OP
OP
N

nisemu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me counting (its only a brief video) - the fish is breathing fast. This could be flukes, or another infection, etc. Did you QT the fish, any new additions? Nice fish btw - certainly the behavior is abnormal.
I got the fish from a reputable (or so I thought) fish store who claim they quarantine their fish, ive had him for a little over five months now though, also no new additions I got all of the fish I have in this tank relatively at the same time and have had them all for five months now

OP
OP
N

nisemu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, you want .025. May explain behavior. Also temp, try to get closer to 80. As temp increase, oxygen levels decrease slightly.
so lower the temp? how much should I decrease at a. time and how often?

OP
OP
N

nisemu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right - your ammonia would not be causing this problem - unless your pH was super high. However - another question is - how old is the tank - you should have zero ammonia.

ill test the ph, also yes I mean 1.026 and 1.027 thats my mistake. also the tank is 6 months old.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got the fish from a reputable (or so I thought) fish store who claim they quarantine their fish, ive had him for a little over five months now though, also no new additions I got all of the fish I have in this tank relatively at the same time and have had them all for five months now
Awesome thanks for the information. I believe you said it was floating to the surface at times. Which could indicate a swim bladder issue - which can be infection - or other causes. It looks 'fat' - which could be egg bound, or internal parasites causing a blockage?

OP
OP
N

nisemu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ph is 8

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish looks a bit bloated to me. Maybe because I’m so used to seeing this species in really thin condition….but if that is a new development, ascites is a systemic disease that causes rapid breathing and bloating.
Jay

OP
OP
N

nisemu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks for the information. I believe you said it was floating to the surface at times. Which could indicate a swim bladder issue - which can be infection - or other causes. It looks 'fat' - which could be egg bound, or internal parasites causing a blockage?
no not floating to the top I meant 'he' (idk if it is a he) usually is always swimming around but for almost week now he has been on the ground breathing heavy not swimming up to me to eat

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So - the ammonia should be 'non-toxic' - however - in a normal tank it should be zero. So - 1. Problem with the test, 2. The tank is not completely cycled. My tendency is to say - this is an illness of this fish - again assuming your others are fine

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 46 26.4%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 41 23.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 42 24.1%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 42 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back