• Phytoplankton

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • Zooplankton

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Coral Food

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Whatever is in the water column

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Other (please share in the discussion)

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • No idea / I don’t keep clams

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clam chow: What do you feed clams?

No, we're not talking about clam chowder and we're not talking about feeding clams to your tank - we are asking about food for clams. Clams have amazing systems for pumping water in, filtering, and then pumping water back out. They can filter plenty of algae, detritus, and more out of the water column. Light is also important to some clams and some even have zooxanthellae. Getting a healthy clam and providing the proper conditions are important, but do you provide supplemental food to your clam? If so, what do you feed it? Does it matter? What is your experience, understanding, and past, present, and future plans for clam chow…er…clam food?!? Please join the discussion, share any tips that you have, and tell us about your experience with feeding clams.

PacificEastMaximaBlue.jpeg

Photo by @PacificEastAquaculture

This week we have been asking a lot about clams and if you are still looking for more information and you have already checked out the R2R sub-section on clams, then you may want to read the following R2R articles:
After all this information, are you still unsure about supplemental feeding for clams? That's okay. There is still plenty of debate with experts on both sides of the argument. Wherever your opinion is on the spectrum of what and if you should feed your clams, please share your thoughts in the discussion thread. Let's talk clam chow!

Mikey-D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no clue about clams yet but they are an absolute must have...

Would love to hear all about them and familiarize better from reefers who keep them.

rc4kinu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t feed them directly but they react by actively pumping when I feed corals Reef Roids or Oyster Feast. They definitely like “dirtier” water but they are slow to show that they are starving until it’s too late. So I’m sure they can eat anything floating in water but most likely are dependent on their zooxanthellae for most of their dietary needs. Just needs lots of PAR to sustain those algae to produce all that energy. Was a great article some time back that explained how clams evolved to make essentially mirrors within their cells to direct light further into tissue to provide for algae living deeper in. Amazing adaptation in my opinion and hence why we are awarded with those cool colors and patterns.

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed Reef Nutrition Sd Aquarists for clams and inverts. A blend of the 6 most widely used marine microalgae for use with invertebrates, chosen for their superior nutritional value: Isochrysis, Pavlova, Tetraselmis, Chaetoceros calcitrans, Thalassiosira weissflogii and Thalassiosira pseudonana.

I also use a crushed oyster shell as the bed for my reef tanks. Lights above my tanks are Viparspectra. Daylight all day, one hour blues. No protein skimmer. I dose Seachem two part. I also dose Kent Reef Essentials. My salt is IO regular. I test 0 phos and 0 Nitrates as the clams seem to be the ultimate skimmer. I had to take down my chaeto refugium. Likewise, I still have to dose phos and nitrates to my tanks or risk a dino outbreak.

Last edited:

Klwheat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never fed mine. I just feed the fish. Nitrates run low (0-2) phos runs low (0.00-0.06). Radians for light. Calcium and alk dosed to 440 and 7.5.
This one started at 1.5” and is now over 12” after a few years.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 77

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clam chow: What do you feed clams?

No, we're not talking about clam chowder and we're not talking about feeding clams to your tank - we are asking about food for clams. Clams have amazing systems for pumping water in, filtering, and then pumping water back out. They can filter plenty of algae, detritus, and more out of the water column. Light is also important to some clams and some even have zooxanthellae. Getting a healthy clam and providing the proper conditions are important, but do you provide supplemental food to your clam? If so, what do you feed it? Does it matter? What is your experience, understanding, and past, present, and future plans for clam chow…er…clam food?!? Please join the discussion, share any tips that you have, and tell us about your experience with feeding clams.

PacificEastMaximaBlue.jpeg

Photo by @PacificEastAquaculture

This week we have been asking a lot about clams and if you are still looking for more information and you have already checked out the R2R sub-section on clams, then you may want to read the following R2R articles:
After all this information, are you still unsure about supplemental feeding for clams? That's okay. There is still plenty of debate with experts on both sides of the argument. Wherever your opinion is on the spectrum of what and if you should feed your clams, please share your thoughts in the discussion thread. Let's talk clam chow!

Light!

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the one, right there!!! Wow. I have a derasa that has grown about an inch in 3-4 months from about 2 inches. It is directly under a hydra 32 on the sandbed. I give it a puff of reef roids and phyto every other day because i feed my lobo and acans so why not. Next tank will have a foot dedicated to a maxima. Big blue one! They are right up there as far as most impressive things to see in a reef tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.6%
Back