Clam health

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently got 2 clams. 1 derasa and 1 maxima. I've had them for about 3 days. Derasa is in the sand and the maxima is up about halfway in the rocks. They are both fully open and settled in. They seem happy. But how do I know they are healthy? What should I be looking for?

kenniole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mouth gaping, pinched mantle, losing color in the middle, slanted or falling over, and brown stringy stuff coming out of the valve that lasts more than a couple of days of being in a new tank..

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A wide mouth on a clam is perfectly normal, especially when feeding through it's incurrent siphon. I'd suggest looking up pinched mantle, pyramid snails, to see what sick clams look like. James fatheree has great articles on true gaping, and different diseases they can have and what to look for. Clams can decline rapidly so knowing what to look for is important. I'm including a picture of the clam in our current tank with a wide open mouth which is fine and not to be confused with gaping.
20170812_150610.jpg

OP
OP
Fishfinder

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A wide mouth on a clam is perfectly normal, especially when feeding through it's incurrent siphon. I'd suggest looking up pinched mantle, pyramid snails, to see what sick clams look like. James fatheree has great articles on true gaping, and different diseases they can have and what to look for. Clams can decline rapidly so knowing what to look for is important. I'm including a picture of the clam in our current tank with a wide open mouth which is fine and not to be confused with gaping.
20170812_150610.jpg

Thanks for the info. I haven't seen any pinched mantle or snails

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White growth indicates shell growth which inturn means the clam is healthy and growing. I wouldn't worry to much now. I've lost clams that had exceptionally quick shell growth and the blue squamosa I pictured still doesn't have the typical new white shell but it's doing great. It will happen in time given steady chemistry and good light.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my water tests are good and the lights are Hydra 26
What intensity is the hydra at and the color settings. How far over the Tank is is?

If you have a par meter it would help a bit. 100 min for 8 to ten hours of good spectrum seems to be the lowest I've heard of.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back