Clam help -- calling mr skins!

Tmyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Just registered, but IVe been reading a long time and I've read enough to know there's a bunch of very knowledge people on here and I see mr skinz and a number of others constantly helping and I'm hoping to get some advice to she this squammie.

Ok...so I placed the clam one week ago and after a day or so, I noticed that it started expanding its mantle less and less. I couldn't figure out what the problem was because its under the same exact lights and tank parameters are fine. I noticed that it started developing pinched mantle pretty bad because of the stress it was under. However it was still very responsive to running my hand over the tank. I did a freshwater dip and changed out my carbon and her mantle immediately looked better within 2 hours. That's when I noticed that one of my peppermints was bothering pestering her.....BAD. So I placed her in the sump and ran to walmart to buy a blueberry crate to protect her. The second i put her back in the tank, the one shrimp went right for her, but after 10 minutes of frustration, he gave up. I loved watching it. :)

Yesterday morning she definitely looked much better than the previous day's but she didn't look that way all day. As he day progressed, her mantle started to curl just a bit as it looked before, but not nearly as bad. Now, her in siphon is gaping pretty bad this morning, but her mantle looks better. I've been doing everything possible to try and help her...up until 1-2 every night testing and checking. I have to admit that I'm pretty frustrated at this point. Everything else in the tank is doing excellent.

OP
OP
T

Tmyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to post tank specs...sorry

Parameters are as follows:

Trates 8

Calcium 410

Alk 7.7

Ph. 8.2

Temp. 79

Ammonia is 0 of course

Tank has been up and running for 7+ yrs.

115lbs of live rock in DT and 15 lbs in fuge.

Sand substrate

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams don't like to be moved, could be the problem. Have you checked thoroughly for predatory snails, crabs, or worms? There may be an unseen predator harassing the animal - biggest reason for gaping. After light acclimation and consistent high quality water all you can do is wait a few days and the gaping may pass.

OP
OP
T

Tmyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
Thanks u much for the quick response!!

Yes sir I have checked for snails/worms on the foot and nothing. Clean.

I now have her protected with the blueberry container and her mantle looks better, but she still gaps. More so in the morning!

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for tiny pyram snails; they will be along the last fluke by the mantle. They come out at night, so take a flashlight and look. Bad news is gaping is symptomatic of the last stage before death for many specimens. It does not, however, indicate any specific condition and can be caused by prolonged siege by predators like pyram snails, saline or luminary shock, severe trauma to adductor muscle and/or internal organs.

Also, IME clams really can take a lot of current and are better off for it. You shouldn't keep it in that container for long. You'll probably have to do something with the assaulting shrimp. My extra large Maroon Clown sits in my Crocea Clam sometimes and it doesn't seem to bother the clam at all.

jasonandsarah

Sticks, sticks and more STICKS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't the peppermint shrimp be picking at pest? I've heard of peppermints eating red flat worms and red bugs. Just a thought.....
Also completely agree with the above, you should be allowing really good flow to the clam. That in it self could help significantly.

Back