Clam ID please

Joined
Dec 10, 2017
Messages
1,435
Reaction score
2,547
Location
West Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a crocea (?) clam a few weeks ago but I’m wondering if it’s maybe a Maxima with its scutes worn down? It also has a distinct tear drop shape and it’s already locked itself in place so I won’t be able to take any pics of the byssal opening. Thanks!
15B1A189-96F8-4EE7-BFAE-E7D056A01BC8.jpeg

669C7296-A8C2-47E5-BF8E-FC64297318D4.jpeg

8A4EAEDC-DC1E-4BAD-9AA0-3FCAF453362E.jpeg
 
my opinion is maxima and if it's open and feeding, leave it be. More chance of hurting it moving it than letting it acclimate. Feed it some phyto and let it be. in my opinion. If you move it, use one of those cradles from brightwell. My squamosa does not mind being moved but my maxima is much more sensitive and takes longer to recover
 
@oldschoolmarcel thanks! I have it in DIY cradle made from some leftover dry rock I had. Good to know about their sensitivity to being moved. I typically only move out of necessity (my magnifica nems are prone to wondering).
if its in cradle, should be fine. They just don't like getting foot and threads messed with.
 
+1 on maxima and +1 to not moving it.

350 PAR is the lower end of the requirement but it should do fine - make sure it’s growing. one of my 13 clams (11 maximas) is under ~350ish PAR, the rest are 450-900.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW LONG HAVE YOU PERSONALLY KEPT YOUR LONGEST-SERVING CURRENT RESIDENT?

  • Under 1 year

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 to under 3 years

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 to under 5 years

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 5 to under 10 years

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 10 to under 20 years

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 20+ years

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I’ve lost track

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new