clam killer?

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello,

i had a couple of small 2-3" blue clams. i was told one was a maxima, i believe. not sure what the other was or which was which. lol

they have been in my well esptablished 75g for about 6 months now and looking great.

i woke up yesterday morning to find one of the shells empty. not sure what would have caused it to die and eaten it over night.... thoughts??? i saw them both doing well the day before. i'm kind of anal about checking my tanks. lol :bigsmile:

the tank is hermit free. have a couple emeralds and a variety of snails. i did have a large snail in that area, but not aware of the snails killing clams. the snails were all purchased from reefcleaners.

thoughts????

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish do you have in there? I am sure if people know what your fish stock list is they may be able to indicate if there is a culprit there. I don't know much about clams and just know some fish will pick at them. There are pyramid snails that will kill clams but that is over an extended period of time and not over night.

tjsig522

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were the clams in direct contact with sand or a rock infested with brisstel worms?
I lost a giant 6lb max clam to those things

OP
OP
geckoejon

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think i found the culprits... whelks.... easily confused with nassarius snails. i found a link to tell the difference, and i definitely have numerous whelks in my tanks. i bought them as "nassarius". ugh.....

Whelk versus Nassarius | Melev's Reef

fish list is all pretty peaceful, imo. pair ocellaris, tail spot blenny, sunburst anthias, blue manderin, orange spot blenny, 3 different firefish, red scooter blenny. to my knowledge, none of them would be suspect. i do have a skunk and fire shrimp as well.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I'd be Whelk hunting every night for awhile. You must have quite a few of them to eat an entire clam overnight. And, they are very prolific breeders.

OP
OP
geckoejon

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I'd be Whelk hunting every night for awhile. You must have quite a few of them to eat an entire clam overnight. And, they are very prolific breeders.

yah, worst part is that i think they have been in there for a good 6 months.... ugh....

Tyrone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please explain what is whelks? I just mysteriously lost a 2 inch blue maxima that I had for about a month.

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello,

the tank is hermit free. have a couple emeralds and a variety of snails. i did have a large snail in that area, but not aware of the snails killing clams. the snails were all purchased from reefcleaners.

thoughts????
I didn't know hermit crabs can harm clams?! ;Jawdrop

Tyrone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah my hermit crabs never touched my clams. I have a couple conchs that occasionally knock over my deresa. Whelks are a species like nassarius snails. I woke up one morning and found about 4 of them going to town on one of maxima that I tried to keep previously. I pulled them all out and thru them down into my sump.

Tyrone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This last blue 2 inch maxima that died has me stumped. I noticed it mantle the past couple days slowly receding.

Tyrone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No not of this blue 2 inch maxima. I have 2 gold 2 inch maxima left. I will take some pictures of them and watch them like a hawk.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This last blue 2 inch maxima that died has me stumped. I noticed it mantle the past couple days slowly receding.
Did you notice any new shell growth? As the mantle recedes the clam begins to gape and it goes down hill from there. Some causes can range from protozoa to starvation.

Tyrone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and my other two gold maxima as well have new growth.

Tyrone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think my clam died from starvation. I have two Sea Apples that I feed 2-3 times per week. I’m suspecting Protozoa may killed my clam. Can this bacteria be prevented from spreading with the use of a UV sterilizer?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think my clam died from starvation. I have two Sea Apples that I feed 2-3 times per week. I’m suspecting Protozoa may killed my clam. Can this bacteria be prevented from spreading with the use of a UV sterilizer?
I'm honestly not sure, never ran UV in any of our systems. I believe a freshwater dip would be more effective in a last resort. Even though your feeding, good lighting is what that clam will use more. Hope it pulls through

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back