Clam qt tank setup and maintaince

rowenaad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Im getting a new crocea clam and would like to set up a qt for it to stay for 4-6 wks, but there are a few things i need help with

1. I wont be cycling the tank cuz i dont see a huge source of ammonia but should i do frequent water change? and how often?
2. because of the lack of ammonia im assuming the qt be low in nutrient and my qt light will not be as good so ill be dosing phyto daily. Is that going to be enough?

Thanks for any help

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes it should be! I’d add a piece of media from your display/an established tank whether a sponge or small rock into the quarantine tank and leave it in there with the clam to help the tank cycle/to prevent ammonia. I’d also recommend doing small water changes and testing ammonia daily if you see it rise do a near 100% water change. In addition to this you can add bottled bacteria daily. That being said with animals like inverts because they can’t be medicated and the risk of them transferring fish diseases into a display is minimal to impossible for many…I personally wouldn’t quarantine it since it’s stressful on them.

OP
OP
R

rowenaad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it should be! I’d add a piece of media from your display/an established tank whether a sponge or small rock into the quarantine tank and leave it in there with the clam to help the tank cycle/to prevent ammonia. I’d also recommend doing small water changes and testing ammonia daily if you see it rise do a near 100% water change. In addition to this you can add bottled bacteria daily. That being said with animals like inverts because they can’t be medicated and the risk of them transferring fish diseases into a display is minimal to impossible for many…I personally wouldn’t quarantine it since it’s stressful on them.
Thanks ill dose bacteria then but i have another clam in dt so i think i had to qt

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back