Clams and Glass

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious, as many know I got a second clam a couple days ago. However what I’m intrigued about is why do some clams such as Maxima and Crocea look like they have purple or blue mantles through glass but on top show that true pattern whilst other clams such as Deresa show their pattern through the glass?
For example, here’s my two clams top down and side on.
Tridacna maxima;
1DC67AC2-C5E4-45D2-BDEE-0BB3D4CFAF67.jpeg

473E0F60-78E6-48ED-9ED3-63C55D1B1619.jpeg

Tridacna deresa;
935582CC-5143-4DBF-8BAE-BEEDD718F754.jpeg

92E8F461-F54F-49F7-964B-6D642B118591.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. I don’t think I can help much here. Wanted to reply didn’t want to leave the question unattended lol. I enjoy the clam pics though!
No worries!!
I’m the same, when I find a question I like late at night I tend to message then leave it for the morning haha.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light is not seen with our eyes only whats reflected if you put the light strait from the glass and rotated the clam strait to the glass you would see it the same as top down.
Not necessarily true take a Koi for instance the Koi will ALWAYS look better from top even if the most amount of sun hits the sides

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious, as many know I got a second clam a couple days ago. However what I’m intrigued about is why do some clams such as Maxima and Crocea look like they have purple or blue mantles through glass but on top show that true pattern whilst other clams such as Deresa show their pattern through the glass?
For example, here’s my two clams top down and side on.
Tridacna maxima;
1DC67AC2-C5E4-45D2-BDEE-0BB3D4CFAF67.jpeg

473E0F60-78E6-48ED-9ED3-63C55D1B1619.jpeg

Tridacna deresa;
935582CC-5143-4DBF-8BAE-BEEDD718F754.jpeg

92E8F461-F54F-49F7-964B-6D642B118591.jpeg
Interesting nice clams, you have my curiosity. As soon as I get home from Indonesia next week and get caught up I will have a look at my one Maxima and see. Happy New Year

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So @i cant think,
Have we turn you into a full Clam-maniac yet?
Clams and Anemones are my weakness. I just can't resist a beautiful Anemones or Clams, to the point that if I don't have room for it, I just add another aquarium.
Wrasses are nice and all, but they don't live long enough. My first group of wrasse from the wrasse fever I had started to die of old-age and it hurts. Having an animal died from our stupidity and error hurts differently. Having an animal died of old age give me a helpless despair that I don't really like.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So @i cant think,
Have we turn you into a full Clam-maniac yet?
Clams and Anemones are my weakness. I just can't resist a beautiful Anemones or Clams, to the point that if I don't have room for it, I just add another aquarium.
Wrasses are nice and all, but they don't live long enough. My first group of wrasse from the wrasse fever I had started to die of old-age and it hurts. Having an animal died from our stupidity and error hurts differently. Having an animal died of old age give me a helpless despair that I don't really like.
I agree with the wrasse situation, mine are getting to that stage in life and it’s not great, they aren’t displaying much at all anymore.

As for clams, you’ve definitely turned me to them! I love these guys and hopefully I can have a nice sized deresa in with my regal angel, majestic Angel, CBB. I definitely don’t want to move him to the LFS when I grow him out of the nano as he’s been on a journey.

I have a few clams on the list for when I get a nice sized tank like yours or even just a sump tank that can hold clams.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great help! Thankyou :)

I know right, blues are so nice on Maximas but my maxima refuses to show that nice colouring when under full blues.
Try under whiter light, clams look better under white than blue, because they don't fluoresce (much).

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rotate your clam to it points toward the glass(instead of straight up) and you will see more color.

When selecting a clam keep in mind the colors change when viewed from the side. Blue will just be purple, the more greenish the clam is from the top the more blue it looks from the side.

Also remember crocea clams loose color and dont reflect light sideways well at all. They will usually end up looking dull in a tank.

Maximas will hold their colors better and be more "viewable from the side"

Derasas and sqamosas are fantastic because they look almost the same from the top or side.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try under whiter light, clams look better under white than blue, because they don't fluoresce (much).
My lights are much whiter now and shows the true colours of the maxima :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%
Back