Classroom reef project

mossanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm a middle school science teacher at a private school in Northern Wisconsin Lake Superior. I'm setting up a 90 gallon tank with sump and eventually a display sump with mangroves and deep refugium mud and sand. We did not have a budget for this but have been lucky with some generous donations! I'm just getting through the cycle after seeding my base rock with Gulf cultured live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater (they were generous in donating a Buy One Get One Free). The tank is finishing up the cycle and I'm ready to start stocking. My plan is to go light on fish (I do want algae eaters and a goby/pistol shrimp pair for lessons on symbiosis) and start with mostly soft corals but work up to reef building corals as my tank matures. I'm excited about this project and there will be so many opportunities for lessons. I'm especially interested in doing miniature coral restoration experiments with hard corals when we get to that point.

One quick question while I'm introducing myself! I have two Phlizon 'black box' lights. I'm wondering how to best set these up with their limited control knobs. Right now I have the blues set at max and whites/reds/uv down to minimum. If you have any advice on how to make the best use of these given that I will be starting with soft corals before moving to hard.

Thanks!

IMG-2962.jpg IMG-2890.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Those lights push a ton of PAR at full blast, in the 500 range at the surface. Each one is 165w, same as Visparspectra.

In a new setup, I’d be thinking more like 40-60% blue and say 5-10% white for SPS stuff.

For softies only 30% blue and 10% white, many softies like whites.

Best is using (borrowing) a PAR meter. You’d be looking for about 250-300 surface, 150-175 middle, 100 bottom and 50 in the corners,

What a super idea for teaching….good luck….

OP
OP
mossanimal

mossanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Those lights push a ton of PAR at full blast, in the 500 range at the surface. Each one is 165w, same as Visparspectra.

In a new setup, I’d be thinking more like 40-60% blue and say 5-10% white for SPS stuff.

Best is using (borrowing) a PAR meter. You’d be looking for about 250-300 surface, 150-175 middle, 100 bottom and 50 in the corners,

OP
OP
mossanimal

mossanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Great info… that helps.

OP
OP
mossanimal

mossanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and Welcome to R2R! I have the pistol shrimp/goby combination and they are in the back of the rocks which you can hardly see since it's a 180. Now that I have them I really regret it. I would rather have more fish that can be seen!
Oh well I hope they choose a better spot for me!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back