IMG_2117.jpeg

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi,

I'm a middle school science teacher at a private school in Northern Wisconsin Lake Superior. I'm setting up a 90 gallon tank with sump and eventually a display sump with mangroves and deep refugium mud and sand. We did not have a budget for this but have been lucky with some generous donations! I'm just getting through the cycle after seeding my base rock with Gulf cultured live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater (they were generous in donating a Buy One Get One Free). The tank is finishing up the cycle and I'm ready to start stocking. My plan is to go light on fish (I do want algae eaters and a goby/pistol shrimp pair for lessons on symbiosis) and start with mostly soft corals but work up to reef building corals as my tank matures. I'm excited about this project and there will be so many opportunities for lessons. I'm especially interested in doing miniature coral restoration experiments with hard corals when we get to that point.

One quick question while I'm introducing myself! I have two Phlizon 'black box' lights. I'm wondering how to best set these up with their limited control knobs. Right now I have the blues set at max and whites/reds/uv down to minimum. If you have any advice on how to make the best use of these given that I will be starting with soft corals before moving to hard.

Thanks!

IMG-2962.jpg IMG-2890.jpg
Welcome! If we can help with any complimentary pods and phyto just let us know. We love helping school projects!

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to our little piece of the reef.

That is AWESOME!!!! the tank looks great so far.
I Might be able to send you a frag or 2 of either hammer corals and some Cat eye and Utter chaos Zoa's when your tank is ready. Looking forward to it.

Welcome!!!
f127426c616cd57d67c79dfda815c596.gif

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 76.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back