Clean cable chord managment or nah?

Do you care what the cords and cables look like around your reef tank?

• YES

Votes: 383 59.0%
  • NO

Votes: 47 7.2%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 211 32.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 1.2%

• Total voters

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest key to wire management is planning. (I'm a former "roadie/concert sound guy) At work cable management is critical, the cleaner = easier it is to troubleshoot and make adjustments. Keep access open to items like pumps, skimmers that you KNOW in the future you'll need to clean and or change.

ShadowMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like most, I like the idea of tidy cable management but the implementation is always lacking lol. I started out with cable ties, but as others have mentioned, those quickly become a royal pain when having to remove something or add an 'upgrade'. Now I just settle for velcro straps... easy to change if needed and colour coded, so I now what each group related to

Rockit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an "other"... desire clean wiring... zero ability to make it clean or keep it even somewhat organized.

Diesel 2021

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I like to keep that stuff out of sight. All wires and cords are mounted behind the stand but still easy to get to.

Seascapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you feel about cable management? Some people don't really care how it looks and some people want it as tidy as possible! Let's talk about that today!

1. Do you care what the cords and cables look like around your reef tank?

2. Do you have any useful cord managing tips for those of us who are not that great?

LET'S SEE A PHOTO OF YOUR CHORD MANAGEMENT SKILLS!

image via @Kuub
Component Cluster.jpg
I would love to have someone come to help me with cable management. I do have them labeled somewhat:D

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to since I build custom Water cooled PC'S and am super detail oriented, but Im like... NAH! when it comes to the tank.

I do get shocked every week doing water changes, the trick is to use one hand and grasp the cable in a way that if you seize up, you can let go.

Don't live like me.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out my build thread if you want to see my level of OCD. Coronavirus gave me a year of planning and collecting equipment however so I had plenty time to get it all right from the start.

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife will confirm that random, unorganized wires make me crazy. That goes for TV cables, computer cables, etc. Everywhere in my home, my cables are obnoxiously clean and well organized, except... in my tank stand.

I've got a Red Sea 425XL, and it has a "dry side" of the cabinet, where you would keep your wiring. I started with the cabling very neatly routed and secured, but I could see right away that tightly bound cabling would be a definite no-go. I built a facade with a hinged door where all of the wiring is hidden behind. This way, when you open the cabinet, you see controllers (Apex, pump controllers, etc) but no cabling. Looking behind that panel, you will see an absolute mess of wiring. But that mess allows me to unplug, re-route, trace cables, etc. This seems to be pretty similar with most of the replies.

I have a background in structured wiring, and have wired up data centers, headends, home data panels, etc. These systems work with permanent cabling, but our reef tanks are another story. I think the rat's nest actually works best. I just like to hide it.

Hulkwithin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fixing to start my Tank Build & I'm putting a lot of thought into cable management. The number one reason is if anything ever goes wrong which I think some Reefers would agree it will and to me is its a lot easier finding and correcting the oh OH's. Also its just a lot cleaner and says a lot about your tank. Just my opinion.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would gladly pay someone else to help organize them. I just don't know where to start. Some are too short / too long and can be / should be coiled. I'd like all the powerbricks strapped to a piece of plywood somewhere where they have zero chance of getting wet. And everything nice and neatly labeled. I don't have the patience, energy, or desire to do it.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around the tank, I like the cords to be tidy and well hidden. However, when it comes to underneath the tank, that could use some work.....

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back