Clean cable chord managment or nah?

Do you care what the cords and cables look like around your reef tank?

• YES

Votes: 383 59.0%
  • NO

Votes: 47 7.2%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 211 32.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 1.2%

• Total voters

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like this...

1632239113503.png
C13/C14 combi is what you may need, they are quite common.. I use them in all my DIY devices..

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried labels but they didn’t stick well. Does anyone have labels that they are happy with? If so please share the name of the manufacturer.
Wrap duct tape or masking tape around the cord, make a tag, label with a pen. Not fancy and slick looking but it works.

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is "pseudo" organized.:)

1632247123194.jpeg

1632247152176.jpeg
I feel like this is just about perfect, everythign is still routed, labeled, and looks pretty decent, but it's still possibly to remove a cord if you need to, unlike those manic OCD builds where there's a zip tie every 6 inches to keep everything perfectly aligned so that you'll commit sepuku instead of going through the work of fixing anything in the tank.

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like this is just about perfect, everythign is still routed, labeled, and looks pretty decent, but it's still possibly to remove a cord if you need to, unlike those manic OCD builds where there's a zip tie every 6 inches to keep everything perfectly aligned so that you'll commit sepuku instead of going through the work of fixing anything in the tank.
Thanks...I had to learn the hard way not to make it toooooo "Tight"...when something goes wrong...which it does...I did not want to do a major disassembly to fix it...but I must say some of the really clean ones really look wonderful!

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is "pseudo" organized.:)

Things that make you say hmmm

1632248305920.png
Hummmm no longer. It is a DIY CO2 monitor that I pass the intake to my skimmer to see what level of CO2 I am "feeding" it....I draw my air from outside and pass it through CO2 scrubber and I can see how effective the scrubber is being...

Dodger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really a fight against windmills for me. I try to keep cables as neat as possible. What really makes it hard for me is that basically no cable has the perfect length to install it in a neat way. Also once some setup changes for whatever reason one might need some space and the current cable layout might become obsolete. For my music studio I sometimes just rewire the whole dang thing which takes like a full day or longer but for a system that should not be shutdown for too long this is impossibru. Usually entropy takes over after some time.
Love that you know what entropy is! From the chemistry teacher.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tidy and Safe is most important.

MY SUMP ROOM

SumpRoom-3.jpg

Actually that's during tank upgrade. Old tank moved and running around the corner, till new area/tank is setup.

I did try many times to get Cable Management right. It's tough to get the right combination of (Neat, but also flexible to maintain your equipment).

Nothing is worse than to perfectly tie-wrap/bundle your whole new tank setup, and then have to remove a broken heater, or need to clean a pump with cord in the bundle.

My approach Running in between drwall (hollow areas), but make Flaps and portals to do all the runs.
That included Plumping to upstair tank, and all wiring.

AFTER THE Sump-Room UPGRADE.

SumpRoom-4.jpg

The WHITE square Posts are actually Hollow Acrylic DECK POSTS.
I cut holes to get conduit runs (in, up to-first-floor, sideways, and down). Hidden (wire, plumbing, dosing line, etc)

AoexSumpRoom.jpg

The grey groove/track rails are good for hiding a few thicker wires, or many thinner wires.

I will admit, that over time things still get messy just due to being a bit lazy (to put things back right since the maintenance comes often).

Summary: To me any easy "maintainable" cable cord mangement is great, since it make maintenance just a little easier. Fancy looking but "nigtmare to maintain cables, wires, hoses, tubes, and pipes" is counter intuative. This hobby is all about keeping up with maintenance to survive.

Last edited:

210 Reef Tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a power cord snob. To solve my cord issue I built a cabinet to house all my electrical components in one place. All cords are neatly hidden behind the swinging doors. It has also made it much easier to locate and remove and install new cords.

Attachments

• 20210216_115517.jpg
    20210216_115517.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 20210310_160506.jpg
    20210310_160506.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 65

zachtos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a good way to mount all those 12V power supplies to the wall? I use zip ties with a screw hole included, but that is not pretty.

zachtos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a power cord snob. To solve my cord issue I built a cabinet to house all my electrical components in one place. All cords are neatly hidden behind the swinging doors. It has also made it much easier to locate and remove and install new cords.
that is the best solution I've seen for average reefers. Just a cabinet to stuff em all in while presenting the devices on the face. good idea.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a good way to mount all those 12V power supplies to the wall? I use zip ties with a screw hole included, but that is not pretty.
Does not need to be pretty, needs to be effective. Thats what I do - 12v bricks hanging on screws...

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cable management is definitely worth doing right from the beginning IMO. Like others said though finding that balance between making things neat and easy to maintain is a pain in the axx, especially when you need to pull an item.

I think you have to sway a little in either direction to be happy with what you have.

I tried to get all electrics in 1 dryside of my p650 cabinet. So was a tight squeeze utall cable isbwhinda diy control panel (arcrylic sheet that is attached by magnets to brackets) so that's easily pulled out, behind is my 15g ATO which get pulled out once in 6 months for cleaning. So it's not all that bad unless something was to break down. So far so good 1 year on.

Doser is accessed from the end opening. (tank is flash against the wall now)

Attachments

• 20210924_110403.jpg
    20210924_110403.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 20210924_110544.jpg
    20210924_110544.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 40

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back