Clean up crew for bare bottom?

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should I get for a clean up crew in a bare bottom tank?

I am about to set up a new 180 gallon 5ft reef tank. I've always had a sandbed in previous tank but my 110 gallon developed a dino problem on the sand.
I decided to start fresh with a new (larger) tank and new rock.
I plan on painting the bottom of the tank white to have a sand "look" without the headaches of sand.

Problem is, I have absolutely no idea what to get as a clean up crew for a bare bottom tank.

Please help a fellow reefer out.

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep snails, urchins, and shrimp in mine. You can get crabs if you’d like, but they always end up eating snails lol.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails and urchins sound good.
I wish I could keep shrimp. So does my lionfish.

Which snails to get?

Last edited:

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails and urchins sound good.
I wish I could keep shrimp. So does my lionfish.

Which signals to get?

The lion would have a feast lol!

As for signals... I’m not sure. Snails however, I keep astera, margarita, creith, nerite, and turbos. I have to replenish some every year in the 400g.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Autocorrect SUCKS!

Thanks for the advice. I've never run a BB before and I'm kinda intimidated at the idea. Don't know why I am but... I am.

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Autocorrect SUCKS!

Thanks for the advice. I've never run a BB before and I'm kinda intimidated at the idea. Don't know why I am but... I am.

I’ve had both and BB is much easier imo. Not as natural looking, but much more room on the floor for coral ;)

You’ll enjoy it. Keep higher flow so you can keep things suspended which would fall into the sand and die off. Your no3 and po4 will be easier to keep down as well.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Autocorrect SUCKS!

Don't be intimidated. It's much easier to clean and depending on what corals you want to keep on the bottom, you can crank up the flow. I will say though IME, I saw no difference in the ability to keep nutrients lower in a bare bottom versus sand and grew just as much algae. I believe that comes down to nutrient export.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if painting it white will be the best. That will grow algae on it like crazy. It will look like a green bottom, in a year a purple bottom hopefully lol. If your gonna paint it, go black, reduce as many issues as you can before you start.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually the bottom will be covered in algae, coralline and corals. However, I did see a member on here paint the underside of the tank white for light reflection like sand and it looks really cool. Keeps it clean though.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually the bottom will be covered in algae, coralline and corals. However, I did see a member on here paint the underside of the tank white for light reflection like sand and it looks really cool. Keeps it clean though.

That's my plan! Keeping it clean.

I have another question. I have a LARGE carpet anemone.
How would he do in a BB?

K1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After going BB in my FW tank I will never go back to any kind of substrate. I have a 220 BB but Ive been hesitant to put in any kind of CUC because I have 2 triggers. Would snails be my best option or should I go with urchins?

sandy7263

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m cycling a bare bottom too and have the same questions. However, if you only get snails, if 1 dies, who cleans up dead body if u don’t have hermits or crabs?

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like cerith and trochus snails. and an occasional blue leg hermit.
unfortunately, my LFS is just about always out of trochus snails... so all i have is cerith now :)

oh! bristleworms and amphipods :D the hitch hiker clean up crew.

J.

asome_one

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such an old post but i didn't see it mentioned...and as im currently on it searching for my own answers...why not just paint the outside of the bottom white. I think it would come through and there would never be any algae on it.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such an old post but i didn't see it mentioned...and as im currently on it searching for my own answers...why not just paint the outside of the bottom white. I think it would come through and there would never be any algae on it.
I'll bump this again. I have a bare bottom tank that I'm using just for quarantining coral frags. It's only been up and running for a few months, but I'm starting to get my first bits of algae so I'd like to toss something in there to work on it. Since it's only 20g and just frags, I was thinking one (maybe two) snails and possibly a hermit crab or shrimp. But I have to find something that doesn't need or want sand and will be okay with a handful of rocks and some frag racks that I'd prefer not getting tipped over everyday since nothing is glued down.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back