Clean up crew?

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’m just wondering what sort of clean up crew would be best for my tank.
Currently I have 2 mass around snails 1 big snail with a point shell and 2 hermit crabs and one orange hermit crab (which I haven’t seen for a week now that I mention it)
How much clean up crew would be good for this tank it’s 5x2x2ft and decent amount of sand bed

A80EB5B1-5F0D-4BFF-98A6-51A62FC5BA9D.jpeg

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many fish, how heavy do you feed? There really isn't an exact # . I'd start with 10 scarlet hermits and 20 assorted snails. and go from there.

I have 11 fish at the moment : Lamark angel, coral beauty, 4x chromis, fire fish, 2 clowns, Blenny, goby. I feed twice a day but I believe I underfeed because egos vanished within few seconds. I have 3 fish in wire tube: yellow tang blue tang and a foxface

Steph37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 6 hermits and 4 snails in a similar tank size. I'm thinking about adding a few more. I also got a sand sifting star. They seem to be doing a good job.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always add more a few times a year. As my wrasse, and eel eat them on occasion.

drmdvl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually aim for around 1 snail per 10 gallons and 1 crab per 10 gallons. Then go up depending on bioload and feeding habits. I personally prefer blue legged hermits as they are work horses, scarlets are cool but seem to be bullies. For snails I mix between Nassarius, astrea and trochus. If you need something with a bigger appetite I prefer pencil or tuxedo urchins

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on bio-load not tank size. Blue legs will eat your snails, so I always go with scarlets, Let em battle it out or put more appropriate sized empty shells in tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on bio-load not tank size. Blue legs will eat your snails, so I always go with scarlets, Let em battle it out or put more appropriate sized empty shells in tank.

I bought two reef hermit crabs and they both cane small I threw some random shells into the tank and one of them looks like this now and honestly just walks alll over my coral annoying everything.
Not sure I can deal with any more of those

5B2A6D81-41E3-4890-8FF1-C74662491B20.jpeg

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my clean up crew from reefcleaners.com. He does have snail only packages as well as pre made packages sized for almost any size tank. Worth giving it a look. I got the 105 gallon snail only package coming.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I avoid crabs for the most part. Snails do the job well enough IMO

FloridaGal762

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my clean up crew from reefcleaners.com. He does have snail only packages as well as pre made packages sized for almost any size tank. Worth giving it a look. I got the 105 gallon snail only package coming.
Thanks for this information! Cycling my tank and just got my first diatom bloom. Ordered my clean-up crew and took your advice. I got the snail only package. (I have about 8 small blue-legged hermits I picked up this past weekend that was recommended to help. Should I remove them or let them be?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this information! Cycling my tank and just got my first diatom bloom. Ordered my clean-up crew and took your advice. I got the snail only package. (I have about 8 small blue-legged hermits I picked up this past weekend that was recommended to help. Should I remove them or let them be?
Honestly its hit or miss with both blue and red legged hermit crabs in my system. They will both take snails out for there shell.
I have a cpl mean ones both colors.
I say just make sure you have some bigger shells in the tank for them to upgrade living quarters lol.
Watch the crabs when you place the snails in your system my mean ones dont waste anytime going for snails. So you should be able to at least get the nasty ones out.
I dont think I'd remove them all tho.
They will also eat dead snail when they die.

FloridaGal762

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the CUC help get the tank cycled? I am so tired of looking at water and rock. Nitrites very high.

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a huge fan of my conch snail, detritus and diatom removal. Tuxedo Urchin for algae, and yeah like above mentions reef cleaners has packages for tank size. I always try to target feed my CUC once in a while, to avoid snails being attacked by hermits and other unwanted opportunistic meals they would try.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I see you have sand. Not sure if its deep enough for Babylon snails or not. With sand, I feel Narcisus snails are a requirement.
- I prefer Shrimp over crabs any day of the week
- Mix snail types; early on don’t forget to feed during the 1st year maybe leave one pane of glass uncleaned for feeding, rotate sides... I feed my big snails ulva, especially during the expected 6-24 Month long “algae wars”
- what grows under the rock is equally/very important. I recommend speeding that up by seeding with pest free old rock (if you can find it). Anyway those yellow, white of blue sponges are VERY important And under appreciated. . As are the assorted ”tubes”, matices, pods, et et.

Hi I’m just wondering what sort of clean up crew would be best for my tank.
Currently I have 2 mass around snails 1 big snail with a point shell and 2 hermit crabs and one orange hermit crab (which I haven’t seen for a week now that I mention it)
How much clean up crew would be good for this tank it’s 5x2x2ft and decent amount of sand bed

A80EB5B1-5F0D-4BFF-98A6-51A62FC5BA9D.jpeg

Last edited:

FloridaGal762

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a huge fan of my conch snail, detritus and diatom removal. Tuxedo Urchin for algae, and yeah like above mentions reef cleaners has packages for tank size. I always try to target feed my CUC once in a while, to avoid snails being attacked by hermits and other unwanted opportunistic meals they would try.
I really want a conch snail but I read to wait until my tank has been fully cycled plus one month out. Now I WILL get one.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back