OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making an assumption but are you running a biocube? If so we have the same tank. That is WAY too many hermits. I have 5 in mine total. 3xblue legs, 1 zebra hermit (I found him half dead in a used tank I bought), and 1 massive scarlet hermit. I might have 50 snails in there though. My nassarius breed like rabbits, I put 5 in prolly have 15 now. I have 10 (at least) astrea snails and arpund 20-25 dwarf cerith snails. Oh and a sand sifting conch. And a turbo snail of some type I’ve never seen who frequently buries himself.

i woildnt get another hermit of any type. I personally love cerith snails. They’re the best snail honestly as they’ll eat anything algea related. And they burrow so they clean your sand. If I were you I’d do the nassarius you thought about, a few astrea, and a whole lot of cerith snails. Nothing beats ceriths. They reproduce in my tank, eat red slime, maul gha, and burrow so the hermits rarely can bother them.
So reefcleaners told me to get
20 dwarf cerith
12 nassarius vibex
12 florida cerith
7 nerites
5 hermits (which i’ll scrap)
Is that a good amount do you think?

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got me looking into reef cleaners as well now good plug lol!, is the "rimless" package literally for rimless aquariums? If so I assume to avoid clean up crews that can/will make there way out of the tank? Also +1 on the QT question, how trustworthy is reefcleaners?

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got me looking into reef cleaners as well now good plug lol!, is the "rimless" package literally for rimless aquariums? If so I assume to avoid clean up crews that can/will make there way out of the tank? Also +1 on the QT question, how trustworthy is reefcleaners?
That’s what i’m iffy on, I might contact them and see if they house their inverts in fishless tanks. hopefully! i’ll let you know.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot of nassarius. I have a bunch because they breed but you gotta be careful because they’re carnivores. If your other snails fall over they’ll eat them if you don’t flip them over quickly. I usually try to keep like 5-6 in my 32 biocube at most but they always breed like rabbits.
So reefcleaners told me to get
20 dwarf cerith
12 nassarius vibex
12 florida cerith
7 nerites
5 hermits (which i’ll scrap)
Is that a good amount do you thin

Desperado Lucky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefcleaners are great - I've ordered from them many times over the years (mostly to 'refresh' once or twice a year). Don't be thrown off by their acclimation instructions, probably very different from what you've read but it works for their products (IME). Like other retailers, I think their suggestions are on the high side.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got rid of all my hermits. This is just a few that had climbed up on my Monti breaking off branches. I had just removed half a dozen the day before this pic. You can see where they are missing. The only SPS I have and can keep alive at the time. Now I have several frags of them.

Attachments

• 2020-10-7 9-45-45~3[1079].jpg
    2020-10-7 9-45-45~3[1079].jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 26

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get the reefcleaner packages without hermits and I think the smallest package they do is for 25 gallons. But if you have too many snails in your package contact your local reefing club or forum on here and I'm sure someone will take them off your hands for a couple bucks or free. The packages really are a lot cheaper than LFS.

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also thinking about getting a ball of chaeto from reefcleaners, anyone have experience with that? I figure if I'm taking the risk on their CUC might as well trust the plants.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back