Cleaner fish for a 40 breeder

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the hobby and I have just set up my quarantine tank currently with 2 clownfish. I am in the process of setting up my 40 breeder and I am in need for some cleaner fish. I heard cleaner wrasses were good but they would need a well established tank. I also am in need for some inverts that will eat extra food in my tank. I have asked some fish stores about a cleaner shrimp or any other shrimp and they told me that I would need a better established tank and that the shrimp were very sensitive. Half of the food that I feed to my clownfish are being sent to the other side of the tank and the clownfish refuse to travel to the other side. I am constantly siphoning our excess food and my ammonia buildup is getting increasing high. I have been doing constant water changes and adding chemicals but it doesn’t seem like it is doing any effect. I am just looking for some cleaner fish to add to my tank and some inverts to clean up food. Thank you!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. You shouldn't have any ammonia buildup if your tank is cycled - did you mean nitrate?
2. If you want another fish - there are numerous gobies, etc even perhaps a dwarf angel - that could do the trick.
3. Crabs can also help or other CUC.

One problem - if you really have 'ammonia' - is when you overfeed - even if you have a 'clean up fish' - that fish is going to eat the food - use a certain percentage for growth and life - and then put out more ammonia. My suggestion - decrease the feeding as a start. The Clowns will start swimming to get the food.

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. You shouldn't have any ammonia buildup if your tank is cycled - did you mean nitrate?
2. If you want another fish - there are numerous gobies, etc even perhaps a dwarf angel - that could do the trick.
3. Crabs can also help or other CUC.

One problem - if you really have 'ammonia' - is when you overfeed - even if you have a 'clean up fish' - that fish is going to eat the food - use a certain percentage for growth and life - and then put out more ammonia. My suggestion - decrease the feeding as a start. The Clowns will start swimming to get the food.

Hope this helps!
Thank you so much this will really help me.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back