Cleaner shrimp worth it?

jcbasile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 45 gallon tank with a clownfish, royal gramma, shrimp/goby pair and lots of lps/softie corals. I have always wanted to get a cleaner shrimp as I think they look really cool. Question is, do they really serve any purpose besides aesthetic? I know they eat debris and uneaten food, but I mostly spot feed and already have a pretty good cuc currently. I don't have large fish for it to eat things off of and I would like to avoid adding in another mouth to be fed so would it serve any purpose in my tank besides looking cool?

OP
OP
jcbasile

jcbasile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two cleaners and they are pigs! Mine basically are another mouth to feed and for looks. They do a decent job on scavenging.
That's what I was wondering. I am sure I will get one but since it is a smaller tank I want to be conscious about not adding too many things that need to be fed ( I am trying to go lower maintenance)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are mostly decorative, but there is one study that implies that at night, they clean fish parasites pretty well, including eating the eggs of the fluke, Neobenedenia. They won't "cure" an acute infection, but they might help keep disease at bay if the issue hasn't become too severe.

Jay

OP
OP
jcbasile

jcbasile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are mostly decorative, but there is one study that implies that at night, they clean fish parasites pretty well, including eating the eggs of the fluke, Neobenedenia. They won't "cure" an acute infection, but they might help keep disease at bay if the issue hasn't become too severe.

Jay
Even if the fish are similar sized to the shrimp? The fish don't have to be significantly bigger?

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was wondering. I am sure I will get one but since it is a smaller tank I want to be conscious about not adding too many things that need to be fed ( I am trying to go lower maintenance)
They grow extremely fast I must say, mine are huge now.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love cleaner shrimp my biggest problem is that I can’t have nice LPS and feed it with that guy around or else I’m having to play watch dog for an hour afterwards. I had a nice Scoly and a pretty orange plate fungia get tormented to death I believe from the shrimp ripping food out of its mouth. Then getting the shrimp out is either real Easy or a nightmare. I absolutely loved the shrimp it was so entertaining and was great at cleaning the fish

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cleaner shrimp always tries to clean the fish. Whether they like it or not. Serves some purpose.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, I see them go after extra fish food, and I do at times seeing them clean new colonies/fish.

IMO they really are fabulous for their personality. That being said more of a decorative invert, but I would still put it in the CUC category due to it going after extra food and such.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if the fish are similar sized to the shrimp? The fish don't have to be significantly bigger?

Definitely, larger fish are more actively "cleaned" by Lysmata shrimp...small fish do not posture for the shrimp like big fish do.

Jay

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2, they release little shrimplets about every month. A little hard to feed corals with them in the tank. However, they do clean the wild caught fish in my 29g pretty often.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I like them because they are ornamental adding nice color and movement to the tank and great scavengers.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harmless scavengers. I prefer fire shrimp due to their greater activity, but cleaners are pretty and get bigger than peppermint.

Unlike crabs they aren't a threat to corals either.

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love them, my 2 do absolutely nothing but jump out on unreceptive fish and mug them lol, great addition to my tank, very comical.

20200908_180736.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back