Cleaner shrimps, do I need to feed them?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nutrition' started by khalisee, Dec 2, 2017.

1. khalisee

khalisee Member

Hello everyone,

Shall I feed my cleaner shrimps, or I should consider that they eat enough by cleaning? I realised that they get always over excited when I feed my fish. They also try to get some food but usually they cannot swim until there.

DeepBlueSomething likes this.
    Tags:

2. Jason mack

Jason mack Monti madness R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

I always fed mine when I fed the fish .. but they are also part of your clean up crew and will find what is left over as well

3. DeepBlueSomething

DeepBlueSomething Active Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

4. DeepBlueSomething

@Jason mack
    Do you have separate food for them, or they just snag some of your food for others?

5. Jason mack

Jason mack Monti madness R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

I feed Artemia , flakes ,mysis ,brine shrimp , to my fish .. the cleaner shrimps will eat anything

6. DeepBlueSomething

My experience as well - frantic eaters of anything up for grabs

Jason mack likes this.
  7. saltyhog

saltyhog Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2018

A better question is, "is there any way to keep from feeding them?" :D They will out compete most of the fish in your tank for food. My only beef with them is that they make it difficult to feed slow responding corals such as plate corals, duncans and even a couple of my "lazy" rock flower anemones. Most of my RFA's ingest food so fast it isn't a consideration for them.

NY_Caveman likes this.
  8. Garbonzo

Garbonzo Active Member

I have two cleaners that hang out under a pair of RBTAs, so before I feed the nem pieces of oyster or scallop I will take 2 small pieces of whatever I'm feeding and give it directly to each shrimp so they're occupied and don't fight the anemone for food.

saf1 likes this.
  9. saf1

saf1 Well-Known Member

@Garbonzo - that is why I no longer keep shrimp. Any shrimp for that matter. Little guys always scrounging or foraging for a crumb and it never fails they irritate the anemones or other coral that has a polyp that closes to eat. The only down side is that if/when you get a mated pair the free food they yield with eggs. Sort of ironic I guess because that is when the corals pay them back for all the agitation they cause.

Mini food chain right there in our aquarium :D

10. carlo_oz

carlo_oz Member

I wouldn’t be 2 worried about the shrimp. They are scavenger for sure. I have a love hate relationship with them. Specially when it’s time to spot feed the corals. Am sure am not the only one with this problem lol.

11. Som1else

Som1else Member

Sometimes I have to give the shrimp a squirt of food so that they dont attack the LPS when im trying to spot feed them. That goes for my greedy fish too.
    Even if I didnt directly feed them they always grab the food that floats by when I am just feeding the fish normally.

Draft saved Draft deleted