Cleaning an RO system

Ceti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first post here. Ever. I have two Red Sea Peninsla tanks (500 and 650). I started with marine aquariums earlier this year. Although I kept freshwater tanks for many years, I’m completely new to saltwater. When I bought the tanks, I also installed an iSpring 500gpd RO. The membrane and the carbon post filter are each rated for a total of 1,500 gallons. I’m now noticing TDS creep in my RO water, with not more than 9 weeks of use on a new set of filters. Based on the amount of evaporation of the top off tanks and the frequency of water changes, it is quite likely that the unit is nearby the 1,500 gallos for which the resin and the post carbon filter are rated for. The bottom line is that this Monday I’ll be replacing the membrane and the post carbon filter. I do have two questions:

1. Should I also replace the sediment and the two pre-membrane carbon filters?

2. How should an RO unit be cleaned? H2O2? What concentration and amount? I know I could use diluted Clorox but without solid advise I would not go down that route.

All comments will be appreciated.

José

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1,500 gallons of RODI in 9 weeks? Wow, for a 300 gallon system you go though some water!

OP
OP
C

Ceti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Between the water changes and the refilling of the top off tank, that is the approximate water use I calculated. I personally could not believe it, so... yes I redid the math and came out with the same. Please note that I have a dehumidifier going on full time, so this two tanks evaporate a great deal.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in a pretty dry climate so no dehumidifier needed here (current humidity is 15% and the morning is the most humid part of the day). Even at that, I see less than 5% evaporation per week. Are you running automatic water changes or something?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back