Cleaning Filter Socks

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did my first cleaning of filter socks. Used regular bleach washed and then ran a rinse cycle. When I pulled them out they still have a bleach smell on them. Is this normal or do I need to keep rinsing them until the bleach smell is gone? Worried if I use them there may be bleach residue and nuke my tank.

Thanks in advance.

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chlorine will evaporate over time as they air dry, but they shouldn’t smell strongly of bleach still, IMO.

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh- that should be fine. Just air dry them well. I usually don’t use mine until a couple days later, but that’s due to my wash schedule lol.

OP
OP
Bodyguard

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh- that should be fine. Just air dry them well. I usually don’t use mine until a couple days later, but that’s due to my wash schedule lol.
Gotcha. Yeah I don't plan to use them for a couple more days.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I re-rinse mine throughly with tap water before using, making sure to completely saturate the sock material. Then let the filter socks completely dry again.

Also never use scented bleach or no spill bleach. The extra chemicals in the bleach will stay in your filter socks after washing and kill ALL corals.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd soak them in water treated with a dechlorinator overnight and then do another rinse cycle.

Personally I don't use bleach anymore. I just take them out and give them good rinse with my pressure washer and then run through the washing machine with just a rinse cycle.

OP
OP
Bodyguard

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I re-rinse mine throughly with tap water before using, making sure to completely saturate the sock material. Then let the filter socks completely dry again.

Also never use scented bleach or no spill bleach. The extra chemicals in the bleach will stay in your filter socks after washing and kill ALL corals.
I made sure just to use good ole regular bleach.

I may re-rinse again as well.

OP
OP
Bodyguard

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use just a little bleach w extra rinse cycle. Last time I washed them they did smell like bleach so I rinsed one more time. Smell was gone.
Yeah that is what I just. Ran two extra rinse cycles and the bleach smell was nearly gone. They are drying the hot Florida sun.

newbie2014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both felt and mesh filter socks. I just rinse/clean them in running tap, squeeze out excess water, and then put them back in service.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you can powerwash them. I do that to my filter socks, quick and easy and no chemicals other than chlorine in the water...air dry and you are good to go. Im certain it doesnt use up nearly the amount of water as a washer.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I throw mine in a bucket of probably 50/50 bleach/water(never measure, just dump in the bleach). When I get a bunch I throw them in the machine. They still smell a little like chlorine. Let them air dry and the smell goes away. Perfectly normal, and fine to use.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just did my first cleaning of filter socks. Used regular bleach washed and then ran a rinse cycle. When I pulled them out they still have a bleach smell on them. Is this normal or do I need to keep rinsing them until the bleach smell is gone? Worried if I use them there may be bleach residue and nuke my tank.

Thanks in advance.
Rinse in cold water which neutralizes bleach and smell.
I wash mine in warm water cycle only- No bleach soap, etc- Just water. White as can be

OP
OP
Bodyguard

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you can powerwash them. I do that to my filter socks, quick and easy and no chemicals other than chlorine in the water...air dry and you are good to go. Im certain it doesnt use up nearly the amount of water as a washer.
Been needing to get a power washer for some time now...another reason to buy one

jeffp1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinse mine by hand in warm water. Put in 2 gallon bucket with a little bleach to soak over night. Rinse the next day and put in bucket with tap water and a little prime until I change out socks again. Never a problem and doesn't drive my skimmer crazy.

Back