Cleaning for storage

Reefjnky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone i'll be dismantling and storing my 57 g reef tank and sump for the time being. My question is how do you clean the algae off the glass with no water? Also do you mix vinegar and water for cleaning the protein skimmer before storing?

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a spray bottle and fill with water/vinegar mix and grab a razor blade. Spray the algae on glass and let it sit for a few seconds, then use the razor. It'll come off SUPER easy. After you clean the glass of algae just get a damp towel and wipe the vinegar solution off the glass. Boom, done.

Same thing with protein skimmer. Water vinegar mix in a bucket, let it run a little bit to get that stuff everywhere. After it runs a little just remove, rinse real well with plain water and let it dry. Should be good to go.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be careful with using vinegar on stuff with pumps. It’s fine with cleaning the glass and the body of the skimmer but it can start to hurt the pump in the skimmer. A lot of people are recommending citric acid as an alternative atleast for pumps/powerheads.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 57 43.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 61 46.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back