Cleaning FOWLR tank

YoCamron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, hope everyone is well.

I recently returned home from college due to health issues, and I returned to my 2 tanks being covered by hair algae and spaghetti worms. I have easily fixed my 29 gallon biocube by adding a sump with macro algae and chemipure, with a huge cleanup crew added to the tank. My 5 gallon nano tank has been less successful with the cleanup crew I added. Unfortunately my marine bio and oceanography classes at school didnt teach me how to deal with this LoL...

I was thinking of taking my live stock (just a clownfish, clown goby, and a few inverts) from the 5 gallon tank and temporarily housing them in my biocube in separate breeder baskets. My 2 options would be to either break down the tank completely while scrubbing the algae off the live rock, and then set it up from scratch. Or to just turn the lights off in the tank until the algae is hopefully all gone.

Just looking for some good suggestions on how to fix my aquarium up, as I can’t put the 2 fish in their directly in the main tank to live there as they would be terrorized and probably killed. Please give me some good ideas! Thanks all

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a picture of the 5 gal and some more about the 5gal system, for example filtration.

etmanning1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a picture of the 5 gal and some more about the 5gal system, for example filtration.

This^^^ in my old 29G that I had I actually broke the whole thing down and set it back up a few time. Probably one of the contributing reasons as to why it never really did very well. It’s always better to let the system naturally fix an algae issue, especially if it’s well established.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back