cleaning live rock with vinegar

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was researching a way to clean live rock. i did a move sunday and was going to put it all back together on monday when i got out of work but painting the whole house and moving the whole house caught up and hit me bad where i couldnt do anything. i didnt plan on leaving the rocks in tubs until today but with no circulation i'm sure the rock is going to be bad. i just need a way to clean then so i can set it back up. i think the person said to mix half vinegar and half ro and then dip(going to soak for 30mins) then dip it back in some ro water and shold be good to go. any advice would be great.

b_rad_G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think its bad! If it was from an established system and it didn't get real hot the rock is probably fine. If you use vinegar and ro its going to kill anything on the rocks. I would put it back in with new water and let it go!

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using vinegar is just like Muriatic Acid, but much weaker. It bubbled some of the crap out of the rock, but doesn't eat it away as fast. I don't think you need to do it as I tend to leave this for algae covered rocks and very dirty rocks.

OP
OP
Lilmatty5dimes

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think its bad! If it was from an established system and it didn't get real hot the rock is probably fine. If you use vinegar and ro its going to kill anything on the rocks. I would put it back in with new water and let it go!

Using vinegar is just like Muriatic Acid, but much weaker. It bubbled some of the crap out of the rock, but doesn't eat it away as fast. I don't think you need to do it as I tend to leave this for algae covered rocks and very dirty rocks.

thanks. my man problem is the smell from the containers are going to be extremely bad. i'll probably do it outside and make about 15g of fresh saltwater and dip everything in there and then put in the tank.

bucksfan1976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the biggest thing is that the rock stayed wet. I have left rock in tubs for several days without circulation and never had a issue. Dont kill it off.

bucksfan1976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea been there and done that, I would do what you said earlier, rinse it good in new saltwater, If you also want piece of mind you can put it in a large tub, run fresh saltwater and a heater and powerhead for a week just to make sure if there was die off , you might get a mini cycle and it would happen in the tub not the tank.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 37 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.7%
Back