Cleaning saltwater jugs

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if you can tell from the pics, but my saltwater jugs are disgusting on the inside. I have tried the vinegar method and it does work to a degree on the bottom of the jug if I let it sit for a while. The problem that I am experiencing is that I can't clean the sides of the jugs. I try to swish around the vinegar on the sides, but it doesn't work. So does anyone have a better way? I know I can't be the only person having this problem.

08EAB756-8416-44FE-910E-B7016B167376.jpeg BEA0ECAE-0F98-4C76-8D11-86AB5662F671.jpeg 02726CA8-7D60-4209-A0F5-EC7F9D0B0287.jpeg

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
put a decent amount of vinegar in the jug, then stuff a plastic bag in the open end, fill the bag with water... the bag of water will displace the vinegar up the sides and eventually to the top.

yeah, I had a revelation one day to save on acid/vinegar...I’m sure someone else has thought that up, just never seen it done that way b4 I thought it up so I will take FULL credit ;)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I can't be the only person having this problem.

What salt mix are you using?
Whether it is a problem is in the eye of the beholder. I'm not sure I see a reason to think it is hurting anything.

Here's what my IO mixing barrel bottom looked like:

What is that Precipitate in My Reef Aquarium? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Figure 1. The residue on the bottom of the plastic trash can that I use to mix Instant Ocean. I rarely clean it out. The solid is most likely calcium carbonate.

1596541019767.png

OP
OP
saullman

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
put a decent amount of vinegar in the jug, then stuff a plastic bag in the open end, fill the bag with water... the bag of water will displace the vinegar up the sides and eventually to the top.

yeah, I had a revelation one day to save on acid/vinegar...I’m sure someone else has thought that up, just never seen it done that way b4 I thought it up so I will take FULL credit ;)
Ok. Hold on. I am trying to grasp your concept, but I have a few questions for you.

1-When you say put a decent amount of vinegar in the jug. I'm sure you already know this, but this is a 5 gallon jug so what is a decent amount of vinegar to you? Half?
2- when you stuff a bag inside the jug filled with water what kind of bag are you using that doesn't let the water out? The first thing that comes to my mind is a ziplock baggie.

OP
OP
saullman

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether it is a problem is in the eye of the beholder. I'm not sure I see a reason to think it is hurting anything.

What is that Precipitate in My Reef Aquarium? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Figure 1. The residue on the bottom of the plastic trash can that I use to mix Instant Ocean. I rarely clean it out. The solid is most likely calcium carbonate.

1596541019767.png

1596541019767.png
Randy,
To be completely honest, it's just me being picky. I buy my saltwater from WWC. Right now I am using AccuraSea 1 saltwater. I am new to reef tanks so I am trying to maintain good husbandry. Sometimes I get such a thick buildup on the bottom of the jug that there is a bunch of sediment floating around. Then all that sediment goes inside the tank. I don't know if the sediment is harmful or not so I rather nip it in the bud now before things get worse. I just solved some major issues with my tank recently so I don't want anymore for a while.

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean my brut mixing can with vinegar and a scrub brush. After that I pressure wash with water only and then dry it. Whatever survives that process stays in the barrel.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try citric acid and warm water; I fill the whole jug and let them sit overnight and then rinse really well.

JReef85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use citric acid for all sorts of cleaning now. Works great and I feel like its cheaper then vinegar (I'm not sure on this, I feel like you need more vinegar to work). I always have a 5 pound bag of Milliard citric acid in the fish cabinet.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Hold on. I am trying to grasp your concept, but I have a few questions for you.

1-When you say put a decent amount of vinegar in the jug. I'm sure you already know this, but this is a 5 gallon jug so what is a decent amount of vinegar to you? Half?
2- when you stuff a bag inside the jug filled with water what kind of bag are you using that doesn't let the water out? The first thing that comes to my mind is a ziplock baggie.
I did a poor description but it is hard to explain:
6F7B4340-41BB-4E58-B37B-DA4FC669325B.jpeg
7EA3B390-A600-4819-90AD-C4EF9F935A30.jpeg

You use a water tight bag to fill the “volume” of the container, therefore displacing a much smaller amount of chemical that will just contact the insides of the container.

What you want to use is any water tight bag that fits over the mouth and fills the volume of the container you want to clean. over the mouth of the container/jug.....As you fill the bag with plain/cheap water; it will displace the vinegar around the outside of the bag....You are gonna have to guesstimate the amount of “chemical” required, but heck, just fill the bag until you see liquid displaced.

OP
OP
saullman

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a poor description but it is hard to explain:
6F7B4340-41BB-4E58-B37B-DA4FC669325B.jpeg
7EA3B390-A600-4819-90AD-C4EF9F935A30.jpeg

You use a water tight bag to fill the “volume” of the container, therefore displacing a much smaller amount of chemical that will just contact the insides of the container.

What you want to use is any water tight bag that fits over the mouth and fills the volume of the container you want to clean. over the mouth of the container/jug.....As you fill the bag with plain/cheap water; it will displace the vinegar around the outside of the bag....You are gonna have to guesstimate the amount of “chemical” required, but heck, just fill the bag until you see liquid displaced.
Ok. I understand better now. Thanks for the more detailed explanation.

OP
OP
saullman

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try citric acid and warm water; I fill the whole jug and let them sit overnight and then rinse really well.
So your saying to fill the whole jug up with warm water. Then pour in the citric acid. I'm assuming it comes in a powder form.
1- How much would I use in a 5 gal jug?
2- where would I purchase the acid from?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your saying to fill the whole jug up with warm water. Then pour in the citric acid. I'm assuming it comes in a powder form.
That might take a lot more. Why not combine the two? put it in full strength then fill up a garbage bag of hot water inside the jug? Heck even if the darn thing leaks its gotta be stronger that way. I always say “
when in doubt add more”. :p :D

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a couple heaping cups in a 5g jug. I buy citric acid from Walmart. It’s this kind.
CEA1FEC0-4913-4994-9B4D-C74A9C8ACAAF.jpeg

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saullman Just a couple of suggestions. Looks like you could fit the head of a power washer into the jugs. Why not just blast away with fresh water and then empty and air dry? I’m a bit compulsive about keeping things clean so I rinse out my 5G saltwater jugs when they are empty. I also towel down the inside of my Brute can when I’m done with each use. It’s like five minutes of work and I don’t need to deal with stuff like this.

OP
OP
saullman

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saullman Just a couple of suggestions. Looks like you could fit the head of a power washer into the jugs. Why not just blast away with fresh water and then empty and air dry? I’m a bit compulsive about keeping things clean so I rinse out my 5G saltwater jugs when they are empty. I also towel down the inside of my Brute can when I’m done with each use. It’s like five minutes of work and I don’t need to deal with stuff like this.
I will try to rinse with my hose first. I don't think that will work. It's been about 2-2.5 yrs of buildup. If that doesn't work, WWC mentioned putting sand inside them with some water and swooshing it around. If that doesn't work then my last option would to be use chemicals. 3 viable options. That's why I love R2R.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back