Cleaning tank

shananigans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 tanks I need to clean before I sell them and I'm wondering what works best to get the algae off the glass. I thought I read somewhere that vinegar is safe and works. Any ideas?

OP
OP
shananigans

shananigans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naa, more green algae actually.. but I'll do the vinegar/ razor blade thing, thanks. One tank is my old 45 gallon with a hang on 'fuge and mounted coralife light with a stand. (bulbs are old) When I put the light mounts on, I screwed it in too tight and the black trim on the top separated a bit from the glass. When it's full to the top, it leaks a tiny bit. I need to fix that and then I'll be selling that setup either together or in pieces. I may decide to sell it in pieces because there are some minor scratches on the front bottom of this tank and it may not be suitable for a display unless there's a DSB. But I'm extremely picky and it drove me nuts, my bf said he could barely notice...

The other one is a 35 gallon from Petco with the bio wheel and filter pad built in the top with a light. Sort of an all in one starter tank but definitely nothing good enough for a reef tank. I have a possible buyer for the 35 (might be a 37 actually) but definitely nothing solid yet. This tank was used for under a year and is in perfect condition. If you're interested in anything let me know! The significant other says no more unused tanks in the house! :tongue:

OP
OP
shananigans

shananigans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No buyer for either... if anybody is interested in anything make me an offer. Probably going to put up on craigslist later this week. I'll scrounge up some pics tonight.

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he says no more tanks I would fill them up then! :tongue: I know I normally keep 2 or 4 or 6 tanks laying around! LOL I'm down to only 4 empty right now. May need to boost that up again!

Eric

NewMelee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eric I swear you're just addicted to tanks not reefs......... :hammer:

I just love the graphics on here :tongue:

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:p

Make sure your razor is WET and that you keep it at a sharp angle. Take a washcloth or sponge to it to soak it as you go. If you don't be careful you can scratch the glass. New razor blade. Try to not cut up the silicone on the bottom and sides!

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and vinegar works to help disolve hard water deposits and such, but won't really help remove green or coraline algae :)

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrochloric/Muriatic acid works 100X faster :tongue:

I removed a ton of calcium build-up within 30 seconds with this stuff the other day! I was literally ready to pitch this 29 gallon I have, and decided to try to clean it and use as another QT tank - voila! :nerd:

crabbejoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:p

Make sure your razor is WET and that you keep it at a sharp angle. Take a washcloth or sponge to it to soak it as you go. If you don't be careful you can scratch the glass. New razor blade. Try to not cut up the silicone on the bottom and sides!

+1 I agree, if the algae is a little wet it comes off so much easier.

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Muriatic acid available at Home Depot/Menards over by the paint thinner and such. It's wicked though. Gogs and gloves mandatory and rinse well if you have to go this route and I'd do it outside.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back