Closed loop help

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2000 gallon reef.... smh. I can’t even fathom. Where/how was the tank used before? Different use? If not, how did they make it work?

OP
OP
Z

Zoaologist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a tank of that size and the opportunity of having the closed loop system, why use any power heads in the tank? IWhat are you looking to grow that will require the added movement of the 16 Gyres?

This tank is a upgrade from a 600 gallon SPS dominated reef. One side of this tank is going to be viewed from the living room and the other side is the “fish room” where the sump and all of the equipment will be. I was planning on adding a gyre wave maker on each side on the two overflow boxes so 8 total and then have the remaining gyres on the back wall that’s viewable from the fish room if they are needed as I already have the gyres. This tank was previously set up as a freshwater tank in a commercial building. It already has the 3 2” holes drilled on the bottom for a closed loop so I was going to continue to use that but really didn’t want to drill anymore holes and risk breaking the tank. I figured the closed loop can provide flow at the bottom of the tank and the gyres can handle the top. As far as what I’m trying to grow in this tank it will be a SPS dominated mixed reef. SPS more towards the top and LPS and softies towards the bottom. Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

JohnnyKnuckles

FragTags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is a upgrade from a 600 gallon SPS dominated reef. One side of this tank is going to be viewed from the living room and the other side is the “fish room” where the sump and all of the equipment will be. I was planning on adding a gyre wave maker on each side on the two overflow boxes so 8 total and then have the remaining gyres on the back wall that’s viewable from the fish room if they are needed as I already have the gyres. This tank was previously set up as a freshwater tank in a commercial building. It already has the 3 2” holes drilled on the bottom for a closed loop so I was going to continue to use that but really didn’t want to drill anymore holes and risk breaking the tank. I figured the closed loop can provide flow at the bottom of the tank and the gyres can handle the top. As far as what I’m trying to grow in this tank it will be a SPS dominated mixed reef. SPS more towards the top and LPS and softies towards the bottom. Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

I gotcha now. It would have been nice if you could generate enough flow with just the closed loop that way the tank stays clear. But I agree with not wanting to drill it for more outlets......That thing is massive. Keep us posted. Create a build thread for us to follow if you have a chance

OP
OP
Z

Zoaologist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotcha now. It would have been nice if you could generate enough flow with just the closed loop that way the tank stays clear. But I agree with not wanting to drill it for more outlets......That thing is massive. Keep us posted. Create a build thread for us to follow if you have a chance
Thank you. I’ll get on the build thread here soon just need to find the time haha.

OP
OP
Z

Zoaologist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2000 gallon reef.... smh. I can’t even fathom. Where/how was the tank used before? Different use? If not, how did they make it work?

With the sump it will be pushing right around 3,000 gallons it was used as a freshwater set up previously.

OP
OP
Z

Zoaologist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated sketch.

CA52844B-35B5-4B7A-BD8F-0F7A13924103.jpeg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like too many outlets to me, so you better be at 1/2 or have a pump with some serious flow. Too many is not good since you lose velocity and cannot use eductors... flow without velocity is not all that great.

If this was me, I would have four different outlets with 3/4 and eductors on a OM 4 way with a 2 outlet drum (two working at at time)... but I would have no issue drilling the tank.

I would strongly urge you to check out the sea sweeps and Tunze rather than use Gyres. I have a few gyres and while they are OK, the flow is just too static and I still like the other stuff better.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
That looks like too many outlets to me, so you better be at 1/2 or have a pump with some serious flow. Too many is not good since you lose velocity and cannot use eductors... flow without velocity is not all that great.

If this was me, I would have four different outlets with 3/4 and eductors on a OM 4 way with a 2 outlet drum (two working at at time)... but I would have no issue drilling the tank.

I would strongly urge you to check out the sea sweeps and Tunze rather than use Gyres. I have a few gyres and while they are OK, the flow is just too static and I still like the other stuff better.
@Zoaologist I screwed up. The one I did like this before only had 4 outlets on each side for a total of 8.
When I thought of splitting each one up I mixed it up with my 233 gallon tank that has 4 outlets that are split into 8 total.

Back