Closed Loop System Overpowered Motor

Piscean_Introvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help!

I have this old closed loop system, thought it would be a great upgrade, but boy what I mistaken. Things are finally leveling out however I’ve run into the tank overheating because the motor runs extremely hot. I’ve cut back the time the motor is own but it’s the flow for the tank.

I guess I want to know if there is anyone out there with plumbing experience that could tell me if there was anything I could do to help or replace the motor somewhere with something less powerful.

96DBDD1F-1C2F-46F7-A963-0F8CDC25026B.jpeg A42E9D19-994F-4231-89EB-FFFD5ACD5D06.jpeg C2F99E6D-6817-4DDA-8E57-45524146D4B7.jpeg B7AD9544-6768-4159-A646-46E9974346CD.jpeg

OP
OP
Piscean_Introvert

Piscean_Introvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a properly sized DC pump would move water more efficiently. How big is the tank and what size is the current pipe are two parameters that we need to provide a more specific replacement recommendation for your consideration.

OP
OP
Piscean_Introvert

Piscean_Introvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a beginner (just as an fyi lol so bare with me) and it’s a 90 gallon DT with 20g sump. The pipe sizes are 2 inches.

Attachments

• 6AD9C0EB-D2A9-45CA-B829-A9B8C24C2840.jpeg
    6AD9C0EB-D2A9-45CA-B829-A9B8C24C2840.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 43

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m too lazy atm to look up dc motors, gph and pipe sized but maybe some one else has been doing this kind of thing lately who can chime in with a recommendation. You should be able to get a dc pump that will move plenty of water (5x90ish) for your situation.
don’t sweat being new we’ve all been there a few times and there are a lot of people on here that can help you with suggestions. :)

OP
OP
Piscean_Introvert

Piscean_Introvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m too lazy atm to look up dc motors, gph and pipe sized but maybe some one else has been doing this kind of thing lately who can chime in with a recommendation. You should be able to get a dc pump that will move plenty of water (5x90ish) for your situation.
don’t sweat being new we’ve all been there a few times and there are a lot of people on here that can help you with suggestions. :)
Will I be able to find something that’s interchangeable that’s similar to the current connections?

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a pretty big pump for a closed loop on a 90g IMO.

About how many degrees warmer does the tank get when the pump is on?

Historically Reeflo pumps could be throttles down if you used a ball valve to restrict flow on the out side of the pump and that would have the byproduct of making them run at lower amps (which would mean less heat).

However the BRS listing kinda makes it out like this model is pressure rated. If that's the case the motor will just power through at normal Amps.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Historically Reeflo pumps could be throttles down if you used a ball valve to restrict flow on the out side of the pump and that would have the byproduct of making them run at lower amps (which would mean less heat).

However the BRS listing kinda makes it out like this model is pressure rated. If that's the case the motor will just power through at normal Amps.

I agree, that pump is a monster for that sized tank. He would be much better off downsizing it and maybe switching to DC.

OP
OP
Piscean_Introvert

Piscean_Introvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes I agree that this motor is probably too big, but it’s what’s was with the system and it’s getting up to 86, with no heater running in the tank at all.

This post is asking for potential solutions unfortunately this one is not adjustable

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestion on DC and would I need any potential adapters for the pumps?

Tons of options out there, I run dual Vectra M2's myself. Any DC would work great, you just need to find one you are happy with flow and cost wise. You would most likely need adapters as any pump more appropriately sized is definately going to have smaller inlets and outputs

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will I be able to find something that’s interchangeable that’s similar to the current connections?
You may, but maybe not as far as those connections go. It is fairly simple to get adapters to size a new pump in to the existing plumbing especially since 2 inch is large enough to handle all the flow you need, and you need less than the monster pump that you have.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is getting hot , its the motor yes but you can cool your tank with water surface agitation and blowing a fan across the top of the water to help facilitate evaporation, cooling down your tank. Along with the motor on a timer that may be all you need to cool the tank down..

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than removing the lid for the tank any other suggestions?
What kind of "lid" are we talking here? Do you mean glass sheets the sit right over the water or a canopy that is hollow inside and houses lights etc?

Your pump is likely adjustable, you would just need to add a ball valve on the return line that runs from the pump back up to the tank.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to replace I wouldn't worry about getting a direct fit.

Whatever you replace with will be smaller and prob require you to add some flex pvc to get the lines to reach.

Same for trying to match pipe sizes. Just plan to use reducer bushings from Home Depot to adapt.

As far as potential replacements go pick your budget first and then select a pump in that price range. There are quality options for a 90g from $100-$2000. DC would be nice. I would imagine a flow rate closer to 2500-3500gph would do well for you.

Back