Cloudy clown eyes?

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a clown pair. The females eyes look kinda cloudy on the top and maybe a little puffy? But her appetite is very good. Comes to the glass when I come by, seems to to react well, and overall seems healthy. But I wanted other peoples opinions. She's been in my tank for around 4 months. And for as long as I can remember her eyes looked like this.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Can’t see much with the movement but I believe the fish has a hazy, milky appearance with slight loss of color?
If so, may be the start of brooklynella

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a clown pair. The females eyes look kinda cloudy on the top and maybe a little puffy? But her appetite is very good. Comes to the glass when I come by, seems to to react well, and overall seems healthy. But I wanted other peoples opinions. She's been in my tank for around 4 months. And for as long as I can remember her eyes looked like this.

The 4 months time makes it a chronic issue not an acute one. Chronic problems don’t kill quickly if at all, but are harder to identify and treat.
Visually, this could be mycobacterium - fish tuberculosis. It isn’t treatable but clownfish are pretty resistant to it.
Jay

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 4 months time makes it a chronic issue not an acute one. Chronic problems don’t kill quickly if at all, but are harder to identify and treat.
Visually, this could be mycobacterium - fish tuberculosis. It isn’t treatable but clownfish are pretty resistant to it.
Jay
So I just wait it out? There isn't heavy breathing, flashing, refusal to eat, lethargic, or anything. Completely normal except for the eyes.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just wait it out? There isn't heavy breathing, flashing, refusal to eat, lethargic, or anything. Completely normal except for the eyes.
It may not get better, and myco is not treatable. I can’t think of anything else this could be. Fish eyes show every little thing- their being clear shows cloudiness really well. Any small pressure build up in a fish also makes the eyes bulge. Since the other clown has no symptoms, this does not seem to be a highly infectious disease.
Jay

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not get better, and myco is not treatable. I can’t think of anything else this could be. Fish eyes show every little thing- their being clear shows cloudiness really well. Any small pressure build up in a fish also makes the eyes bulge. Since the other clown has no symptoms, this does not seem to be a highly infectious disease.
Jay
Is she in pain? Now I'm really upset. I'm incredibly attached to these fish. She doesn't act like she's in pain but now I won't stop thinking about it...

Jay, thank you for the info, I see you around here all the time and can't think you enough.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is she in pain? Now I'm really upset. I'm incredibly attached to these fish. She doesn't act like she's in pain but now I won't stop thinking about it...

Jay, thank you for the info, I see you around here all the time and can't think you enough.
Pain in fish is difficult for humans to understand. The metric I use is if the fish is feeding vigorously and swimming properly, it is not in pain.
Jay

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back