Cloudy Nano

BigBearReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

My wife and I decided to purchase a 40 gal saltwater tank all in one model here about 4 weeks ago. We just recently added fish and a cleanup crew. All levels are looking good and I am seeing brown alge to be expected. But the one thing that I can't seem to clear up is cloudy water. I do not know if it is in my filter media or something else. Any suggestions would be great

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! When you say levels are looking good, can you give us some numbers? Cloudy water is generally a sign of bacterial bloom. How was the tank cycled?
Wtr2r24.gif

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Usually cloudy water comes from suspended sand, micro bubbles, or an algae bloom. Can you tell us more about your system so we can provide more insight?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, Welcome to R2R! I'm assuming the tank has been cycling for awhile? Give us a little history. Has the cloudy water been a problem the entire time? Maybe a picture would help.

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

My wife and I decided to purchase a 40 gal saltwater tank all in one model here about 4 weeks ago. We just recently added fish and a cleanup crew. All levels are looking good and I am seeing brown alge to be expected. But the one thing that I can't seem to clear up is cloudy water. I do not know if it is in my filter media or something else. Any suggestions would be great

I love the "we" in your post...A Great family hobby!!

Welcome to the R2R Family…Great to have you

…Explore…Learn…Share

3Y0.gif

OP
OP
BigBearReef

BigBearReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! When you say levels are looking good, can you give us some numbers? Cloudy water is generally a sign of bacterial bloom. How was the tank cycled?
Wtr2r24.gif
How do you mean how was it cycled? Are there more ways that just letting it happen? All levels are where they should be according to LFS

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you mean how was it cycled? Are there more ways that just letting it happen? All levels are where they should be according to LFS
In order for a tank to cycle, a bacteria source needs to be introduced (live rock, bottled bacteria ect) and then an ammonia source needs to be added for the bacteria to consume, establish, and colonize.
Can you walk us through your tanks startup process?

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are products for sale that contain live bacteria to seed your live rock to cause almost an instant cycle.

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked this thread over?

OP
OP
BigBearReef

BigBearReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased tank with live rock and life sand. Added salt water from LFS added pump heater skimmer and filters. Then added half of a bottle of what I think I remember as bacteria. After a week I checked levels and since they checked out ok I added the other half of th bottle. Week later I purchased 3 fish. My filtration system consists of 3 filter boxes that came with the aquatop nano all in one. It was recomend that I not use the carbon box and instead replace it with bio media and put some chatemorphia on top of that. On the overflow side of th tank I have a bag full of some stuff that came in a plastic bottle that was recommended that I put on top of the long black sponge. Please forgive me as I am new and do not know the names of everything as of yet.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back