Cloudy Nano

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased tank with live rock and life sand. Added salt water from LFS added pump heater skimmer and filters. Then added half of a bottle of what I think I remember as bacteria. After a week I checked levels and since they checked out ok I added the other half of th bottle. Week later I purchased 3 fish. My filtration system consists of 3 filter boxes that came with the aquatop nano all in one. It was recomend that I not use the carbon box and instead replace it with bio media and put some chatemorphia on top of that. On the overflow side of th tank I have a bag full of some stuff that came in a plastic bottle that was recommended that I put on top of the long black sponge. Please forgive me as I am new and do not know the names of everything as of yet.
No worries! That's what were here for :)
If you added bacteria without a food source the tank may not have cycled completely. I think what I would do at this time is to let the tank run and see if it clears up. But keep an eye on levels so you dont get an ammonia or nitrate spike.

OP
OP
BigBearReef

BigBearReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries! That's what were here for :)
If you added bacteria without a food source the tank may not have cycled completely. I think what I would do at this time is to let the tank run and see if it clears up. But keep an eye on levels so you dont get an ammonia or nitrate spike.
I am starting to see ammonia keep up a little. Should I do a water change? I also have brown alge forming. I purchased a clean up crew and they have taken care of most of the alge in the sand and rock. Just fyi...

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting to see ammonia keep up a little. Should I do a water change? I also have brown alge forming. I purchased a clean up crew and they have taken care of most of the alge in the sand and rock. Just fyi...
If your ammonia is on the low end, just let it ride out. What fish did you add?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy

With 7 fish keep an eye on ammonia.

howdy.gif

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome

Starting with live rock and sand is probably helping you a lot. With dry rock, the cycle can easily last a month. Even with live rock, many people will wait near as long to add fish and it's generally one or two at a time, once or twice a month.

You're off to a fast start, relatively speaking, so it's difficult to pinpoint what could be clouding your water. The tank is in the midst of a biological explosion ;) Bacterial blooms aren't of any particular danger, so long as your tank is getting solid air exchange. Do keep an eye on ammonia as that's a possibility too and have water ready for water changes if you see it starting to rise. Prime is also good to have on hand.

spockwelcome.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back