BigBearReef

BigBearReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R dude !!!

I'd fire your LFS for the advice they have given you !!!

Taking home a fresh tank with fish is a super No No for SaltWater

Good luck with your new tank. At least you came to the right place for advice.
Need to clarify. I did not have fish right away. It was about 2 weeks before I brought fish home.

OP
OP
BigBearReef

BigBearReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome

Starting with live rock and sand is probably helping you a lot. With dry rock, the cycle can easily last a month. Even with live rock, many people will wait near as long to add fish and it's generally one or two at a time, once or twice a month.

You're off to a fast start, relatively speaking, so it's difficult to pinpoint what could be clouding your water. The tank is in the midst of a biological explosion ;) Bacterial blooms aren't of any particular danger, so long as your tank is getting solid air exchange. Do keep an eye on ammonia as that's a possibility too and have water ready for water changes if you see it starting to rise. Prime is also good to have on hand.

spockwelcome.jpg
Thank you for your advise. What is prime?

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

An ammonia control additive. I have it, but not experienced with it. If you have ammonia, it will chemically alter it a bit so it's not poisonous to fish. It's tricky though bc the detoxified ammonia will continue to register on your test kits. There are other similar products as well.

If you see ammonia rising and if you aren't able to keep it at bay with water changes, dosing prime (or similar) will buy you 24 hours. Not to panic. not saying that's where you are, but it's good stuff to have on hand regardless. Ammonia can happen anytime, like if a big fish dies.

OP
OP
BigBearReef

BigBearReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

My wife and I decided to purchase a 40 gal saltwater tank all in one model here about 4 weeks ago. We just recently added fish and a cleanup crew. All levels are looking good and I am seeing brown alge to be expected. But the one thing that I can't seem to clear up is cloudy water. I do not know if it is in my filter media or something else. Any suggestions would be great
Update! I have decided to do a 10 gal water change and stop feeding for 48hrs. I will then check ammonia level to see if it has gone down and reduce feeding amounts. Let me know what you all think.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, wanted to say welcome. I didn’t go thru the entire thing, but if we have some ammonia sounds like you have a good plan.

Keep us updated and ask questions thru the process. Sounds like gonna be a sweet tank

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 clowns 2 chrome's a yellow wrasse a blenny a diamond gobi 2 snails and 10 blue hermits
Even with a 40 gal tank?
Yes, especially with that many fish added to a tank that size all at once

Update! I have decided to do a 10 gal water change and stop feeding for 48hrs. I will then check ammonia level to see if it has gone down and reduce feeding amounts. Let me know what you all think.
Awesome !!
Wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on your NH3 levels daily for the next week or so until you test zero ammonia. If you're still reading any ammonia on a decent test kit, daily WCs are what I'd do.
Not meaning to pick on you ... this is the place to find advice and such!!

Adding a couple new fish each month is about what your bio-load can handle when it's trying to keep up with the cycle.
What you are facing right now is forcing your nitrifying bacteria to take up the load of enough fish to populate your whole tank all at once.
Are you able to get your hands on some Bio Spira ?
I've seen others have great success using this and getting through upwards of a month or more worth of cycling in only a week or 2.

OP
OP
BigBearReef

BigBearReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, especially with that many fish added to a tank that size all at once

Awesome !!
Wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on your NH3 levels daily for the next week or so until you test zero ammonia. If you're still reading any ammonia on a decent test kit, daily WCs are what I'd do.
Not meaning to pick on you ... this is the place to find advice and such!!

Adding a couple new fish each month is about what your bio-load can handle when it's trying to keep up with the cycle.
What you are facing right now is forcing your nitrifying bacteria to take up the load of enough fish to populate your whole tank all at once.
Are you able to get your hands on some Bio Spira ?
I've seen others have great success using this and getting through upwards of a month or more worth of cycling in only a week or 2.
Yes I did use bio spira. Everything is fine now. Thank you for the advice

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back