Clove Polyp Dying/Dead

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

i received this clove polyp frag about a week ago, they haven’t opened up once. How can I tell if they’re okay? Or if they’ve died?

B6B796EC-9B9F-4039-944D-25AC5885F456.jpeg

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

i received this clove polyp frag about a week ago, they haven’t opened up once. How can I tell if they’re okay? Or if they’ve died?

B6B796EC-9B9F-4039-944D-25AC5885F456.jpeg
Give them medium flow or increase the flow. Mine gets hit hard (not as hard as acros and montis) and tends to grow bushier. Also may ask what type of cloves did u get? Is it something like mine or the mostly bluish purple with green lines radiating from the middle?

006B08F2-DD91-4269-AE76-D7F8072E17C6.jpeg

OP
OP
downonthereef

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give them some time, they will come out. By the way, put them on their own rock. Otherwise they will overgrow and smother everything else.
I moved them to where they are to hopefully get more light, I will plan to move them back towards the higher flow area once they are open

OP
OP
downonthereef

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give them medium flow or increase the flow. Mine gets hit hard (not as hard as acros and montis) and tends to grow bushier. Also may ask what type of cloves did u get? Is it something like mine or the mostly bluish purple with green lines radiating from the middle?

006B08F2-DD91-4269-AE76-D7F8072E17C6.jpeg
Very similar to yours, larger green centred without the radiating lines, I will move them to a higher flow area once they’re open, I’ve put them more central to the light at the moment to see if that helps.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very similar to yours, larger green centred without the radiating lines, I will move them to a higher flow area once they’re open, I’ve put them more central to the light at the moment to see if that helps.
Alright, do update us. It’s a generally easy coral to keep although it won’t get to plague proportions like Xenia or GSP.

Also, monitor it for algae growth. You can use a turkey baster to periodically clear detritus and algae that settles on it. That might improve it and encourage it to open up.

OP
OP
downonthereef

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, do update us. It’s a generally easy coral to keep although it won’t get to plague proportions like Xenia or GSP.

Also, monitor it for algae growth. You can use a turkey baster to periodically clear detritus and algae that settles on it. That might improve it and encourage it to open up.
I’m not sure if this is an update or not, but one of the stems is a little wobbly today, still no sign of the actual polyp but fingers crossed it’s loosing up

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a shipment with clove polyps and zoas delayed by a day. Zoas were ok but cloves looked like yours and melted away after a week. Saying that, as long as you can see polyps there's still a chance. Holding thumbs for you.

AdamD76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mine grew to almost plague proportions before I moved the whole rock to a 10g tank. It came as a hitch hiker on some Zoas, 1 polyp grew in 6 months to cover the whole football size rock and smothered all other corals on it. Mine are the ones with the green centers with the radiating lines, tho you can't see any green once the get bigger. I used to give them a haircut with a siphon pump to keep them small but it became too much work after a while. 20181224_154205.jpg One month in. 20200704_121831.jpg 6 months in.

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, they didn't make it not sure if it was just due to the shipping etc. Heat pack was cold upon arrival etc. Everything else has been okay thouvh
Sorry to hear that. Maybe try get them from an LFS as they seem to be a sensitive to shipping damage. My replacement cloves arrived overnight and are doing well now.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, they didn't make it not sure if it was just due to the shipping etc. Heat pack was cold upon arrival etc. Everything else has been okay thouvh
Sorry to hear that. Based on my experience Xenias and Cloves are way way more finicky than sps for me. I always had terrible luck with Xenias, out of four tanks only one seems to grow the Xenias fine. As for cloves, when If irst introduced them i had two types. The purplish clove green lines with yellow line tips at the end, and a mostly bluish clove with green lines. The bluish clove struggled and in the end did not make it. So its just the purplish one that remains.

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss and I have a plug of Cloves that look like yours for about a month now. Once in awhile they open up, but they likely did not like my dipping/QT process. Unlike everything else (xenia, zoas, sps, lps, shrooms, etc) that I have picked up in the past 3 months... they haven't yet jumped back after the FW dip (50% RO / 50% (35% H2O2)). Just my thought.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back