Clown agression

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello people. My snow onyx clown (big female) has been bullying and biting my ocellaris clown (very small male). What do I do?
They coexisted peacefully for 3 months and around the time I added a dotty back (will be rehoming the dotty soon) the female started being very aggressive towards the male. I thought the 3 months they spent in the tank alone would surely lead to them pairing but I guess not. I don't want the male to die so please help me out.

Thank you!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello people. My snow onyx clown (big female) has been bullying and biting my ocellaris clown (very small male). What do I do?
They coexisted peacefully for 3 months and around the time I added a dotty back (will be rehoming the dotty soon) the female started being very aggressive towards the male. I thought the 3 months they spent in the tank alone would surely lead to them pairing but I guess not. I don't want the male to die so please help me out.

Thank you!
Its usually better to try same breed of clowns. She may not find him a suitable male, so she is trying to ensure he can't breed with her, which can lead to his death in extreme cases (and major stress if not death). Guessing her biological clock wants to breed after spending couple months with another clown and guessing your tank size doesn't let one go live at other end away from each other... One might need rehomed along with dotty back

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its usually better to try same breed of clowns. She may not find him a suitable male, so she is trying to ensure he can't breed with her, which can lead to his death in extreme cases (and major stress if not death). Guessing her biological clock wants to breed after spending couple months with another clown and guessing your tank size doesn't let one go live at other end away from each other... One might need rehomed along with dotty back
I know it is not recommended 2 mix two breeds of clowns but many people have done it successfully, so what am I missing here? Would it be better if I replaced the tiny male with a bigger male, one that is a bit closer to the size of the female?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it is not recommended 2 mix two breeds of clowns but many people have done it successfully, so what am I missing here? Would it be better if I replaced the tiny male with a bigger male, one that is a bit closer to the size of the female?
Individuals may always have exceptions. Things always work until they don't.

Too bad that clownfish can't talk to you and tell you what she wants. Some just like to be alone. Some will be with anyone. Most want to be with own species, but even then individuals may differ...

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Individuals may always have exceptions. Things always work until they don't.

Too bad that clownfish can't talk to you and tell you what she wants. Some just like to be alone. Some will be with anyone. Most want to be with own species, but even then individuals may differ...
Well, what can I try to do right now to decrease the agression with my current pair, other than getting rid of the male?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, what can I try to do right now to decrease the agression with my current pair, other than getting rid of the male?
I would put her in a time out in a breeder box and let the male get more comfortable and his strength back. You may need to alternate who is in the box. They should still be able to see each other. I have seen people sometimes resolve clown problems this way. Perhaps it gives them time to cool off while still seeing the other clown and getting used to them being around.

My pair fought too so the male lived on the opposite of the tank in an elegance coral. Then one day they went from her chasing him away from her nem to both randomly just sleeping in it together. Just like that.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own 2 clowns of the same species and have had them since they were freed from their friar...1 month ago the female started to become aggressive to the male. It was sort of sad, they used to swim together all the time. They will mostly leave each other alone now and every now and then she chases him away. She doesn't bite him. It's odd every morning they start off the day swimming together until she's had enough. Clowns will be clowns I suppose.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own 2 clowns of the same species and have had them since they were freed from their friar...1 month ago the female started to become aggressive to the male. It was sort of sad, they used to swim together all the time. They will mostly leave each other alone now and every now and then she chases him away. She doesn't bite him. It's odd every morning they start off the day swimming together until she's had enough. Clowns will be clowns I suppose.
That is so weird. Same thing here only more biting and agression.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back