Clown behavior

howitzer

View Badges
Reaction score
So we bought an ocellaris clown for a new quarantine tank. Odd fish, does not swim around the tank much. Refused to host anything. He just kind of stays at the top corner of the tank. No visible signs of illness, eats fine and tank parameters are good. Thought the lack of motion was just due to tank size (13.5gal)

Fast forward 2 months he's into the full 110gal display tank. Same behavior. Bought a 2nd to assist with cycling. It moves somewhat but its behavior is mirroring the orgional clowns. Tank parameters are good (it is cycling so they aren't consistent 100% of the time but are almost always in a safe range), eating is fine but both avoid each other and just swim aimlessly at opposite upper corners.

Is there cause for concern?

Budmans

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Polish_20200506_011127297.jpg

Keep a eye on the ammonia.

It's common for clowns to pick a corner to stay in.

TheGerm

View Badges
Reaction score
agree with the above. Sounds normal.

Mine did that in the beginning, but once i added some corals they made up their minds. Sometimes they still move to the back wall or corner for a day or two, but then the move back to the hosting the anemone or xena. Mine cant make up their minds or they just like change idk.

Give it time, and depending on the age and other tank mates, they may just be comfortable where they are.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Are you currently running a reactor and media on your reef tank?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 177 37.7%
  • NO but I run media from time to time

Votes: 152 32.4%
  • NO I don't use filter media

Votes: 128 27.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 12 2.6%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
PremiumAquatics.com