Clown behavior

howitzer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we bought an ocellaris clown for a new quarantine tank. Odd fish, does not swim around the tank much. Refused to host anything. He just kind of stays at the top corner of the tank. No visible signs of illness, eats fine and tank parameters are good. Thought the lack of motion was just due to tank size (13.5gal)

Fast forward 2 months he's into the full 110gal display tank. Same behavior. Bought a 2nd to assist with cycling. It moves somewhat but its behavior is mirroring the orgional clowns. Tank parameters are good (it is cycling so they aren't consistent 100% of the time but are almost always in a safe range), eating is fine but both avoid each other and just swim aimlessly at opposite upper corners.

Is there cause for concern?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polish_20200506_011127297.jpg

Keep a eye on the ammonia.

It's common for clowns to pick a corner to stay in.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it’s hosting the corner of the tank which is normal

TheGerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with the above. Sounds normal.

Mine did that in the beginning, but once i added some corals they made up their minds. Sometimes they still move to the back wall or corner for a day or two, but then the move back to the hosting the anemone or xena. Mine cant make up their minds or they just like change idk.

Give it time, and depending on the age and other tank mates, they may just be comfortable where they are.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine both hang out in the same corner, or same piece of coral together all the time. Seems to be normal for clowns

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% normal behaviour. I had the same question myself when my Maroon did exactly that. They're weird little fish.

Moved to my display and did the exact same thing. Picked a corner and just hangs out there. Chillin'.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back