Clown fish disease identification and treatment recommendation

danielm5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown stopped eating today and stays in a corner. I can see some white spots but I don't have any experience on diseases and treatments. Information and advice highly appreciated.

Screenshot_20230919_080032_Gallery.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately, I can't see the video (some browsers do not work with R2R). If you could provide more information - was it QT'd, other symptoms (breathing, etc) - bullying, and your parameters? It is a somewhat odd pattern that suggests stings from 'something'. How long have you had the fish? Introduced anything recently?

Upvote 0

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly suspect flukes (external parasitic worms), because of the shape/color/size of those spots and also because of the shaking the clown is doing.

You might want to do a freshwater dip with matching temperature tapwater. That would know some off and also help to confirm. Then treat with Prazi Pro right in the tank.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, try a 5 minute freshwater dip and see if that provides temporary relief. This could also be Brooklynella, and a FW dip will give some relief to that as well. However, dips are not full treatments, so you will need to follow up with a good treatment.

Do you have a second treatment tank (probably not)
What other animals are in with this clownfish?

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
danielm5

danielm5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay, I was busy with work.

The context is that I've got him 3 weeks ago from a fellow reefer. I quarantined for a couple of days for observation but I didn't do any treatments. I've got it together with a cleaner shrimp.

My DT is 15G about 3 months old, with a few soft corals, a cleaner shrimp, and a few snails. You can check my build thread for more details.

Water quality seems good as of today but I've been having some issues a few weeks back. Today PH is 8.0, I changed about 5 gal on Saturday. Salinity is 1.025 today.

I've another thank which I can make into treatment tank (10G). I've another 10 QT which has a few corals right now.

@Jay Hemdal do you agree on Prazi Pro be recommended for my case? Maybe I can get by tomorrow. I only have SuperIck cure I used my FW fish and API General Cure today.

Thank you everyone for the advice!

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I highly suspect flukes (external parasitic worms), because of the shape/color/size of those spots and also because of the shaking the clown is doing.

You might want to do a freshwater dip with matching temperature tapwater. That would know some off and also help to confirm. Then treat with Prazi Pro right in the tank.
Interesting - I have not seen those types of spots. Its too bad that the videos do not work on my system

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

The context is that I've got him 3 weeks ago from a fellow reefer. I quarantined for a couple of days for observation but I didn't do any treatments. I've got it together with a cleaner shrimp.

My DT is 15G about 3 months old, with a few soft corals, a cleaner shrimp, and a few snails. You can check my build thread for more details.

Water quality seems good as of today but I've been having some issues a few weeks back. Today PH is 8.0, I changed about 5 gal on Saturday. Salinity is 1.025 today.

I've another thank which I can make into treatment tank (10G). I've another 10 QT which has a few corals right now.

@Jay Hemdal do you agree on Prazi Pro be recommended for my case? Maybe I can get by tomorrow. I only have SuperIck cure I used my FW fish and API General Cure today.

Jay will answer - but - I don't think there is any downside to using it - since you didn't do it before. Aeration is important. I would not use SuperIck Cure. Api General cure would be second to prazipro IMHO

Upvote 0
OP
OP
danielm5

danielm5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did 5 min FWD. I really can't see anything in the water. There are very few white dots and I strongly suspect they're just sand. Here's a video afterwards:

These are a few captures from the video:
vlcsnap-2023-09-19-13h36m48s540.png

vlcsnap-2023-09-19-13h36m24s601.png

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is this "hole" normal? I see only on one side:
vlcsnap-2023-09-19-13h52m59s471.jpg
No - the hole is not normal. And to me the spots on the new pictures look different than the other first picture (which looked more like 'flat' lesions - which I interpreted as an anemone sting, etc. The clown is having no other symptoms, correct? We'll see how the others weigh in - but I might consider reef rally pro which can help with Brook, bacterial infections and others where it's a little 'unclear'. Supposedly helps with flukes as well. Brooklynella seems so common in clowns that its often the first Go to - lets see what @nereefpat and @Jay Hemdal have to say about the new pictures. I do think a hospital tank set up would help in any case (which I believe you planned)

Upvote 0

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On General Cure and Prazi Pro:

General Cure has Prazi in it, but it also has metronidazole in it. That makes it a good deworming med, but I would not put metro in a reef. That's why I usually recommend Prazi Pro. Prazi can be used full-strength in a reef with no problem for corals or motile inverts. Do it once, then do another dose a week later.

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On General Cure and Prazi Pro:

General Cure has Prazi in it, but it also has metronidazole in it. That makes it a good deworming med, but I would not put metro in a reef. That's why I usually recommend Prazi Pro. Prazi can be used full-strength in a reef with no problem for corals or motile inverts. Do it once, then do another dose a week later.
Do you think the new lesions on the picture suggest flukes or something else

Upvote 0

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the new lesions on the picture suggest flukes or something else
I don't know what to think about the big hole in the head.

The other spots look to me like flukes (those bigger Neobenedenia variety), and if some fall off during a dip that can leave holes. Flukes can stick to a fish pretty well, and they don't all usually fall off during a short dip.

I don't suspect ich, mostly because it didn't look right in the first pic/vid, and I don't see much on the fins.

We'll see what Jay thinks.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Is this "hole" normal? I see only on one side:
vlcsnap-2023-09-19-13h52m59s471.jpg
Im seeing secondary bacterial lesions often post Brook or skin issue and often confused with ich. Brook, flukes, bacterial - best universal treatment will be Ruby Rally pro otherwise Seachem Neoplex. To confirm clearly - Can you eliminate blue lighting and post a video of fish under that light?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Skip the super ich cure. If you can get General cure, it combines Praziquantel with Metronidazole, so that covers two drugs at the same time. HOWEVER, that won't really be safe for the snails or the soft corals. The only medication that would be is Ruby Reef Rally Pro or praziquantel.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
danielm5

danielm5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - the hole is not normal. And to me the spots on the new pictures look different than the other first picture (which looked more like 'flat' lesions - which I interpreted as an anemone sting, etc. The clown is having no other symptoms, correct? We'll see how the others weigh in - but I might consider reef rally pro which can help with Brook, bacterial infections and others where it's a little 'unclear'. Supposedly helps with flukes as well. Brooklynella seems so common in clowns that its often the first Go to - lets see what @nereefpat and @Jay Hemdal have to say about the new pictures. I do think a hospital tank set up would help in any case (which I believe you planned)
I do have a ball anemones (or something like that). There's a video here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/f...ered-in-my-reef-tank-is.1000482/post-11623538

I didn't mention because I didn't think about thaht before. Could that be stinging him? There more or less same size as the clown fish when fully open at night.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
danielm5

danielm5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im seeing secondary bacterial lesions often post Brook or skin issue and often confused with ich. Brook, flukes, bacterial - best universal treatment will be Ruby Rally pro otherwise Seachem Neoplex. To confirm clearly - Can you eliminate blue lighting and post a video of fish under that light?
I tried to do my best but it's hard to see for me:

Upvote 0

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back