Clown fish is burrowing hole in substrate

baldislife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I just cycled a 45 gallon tank and placed a Sebae Clown in the display a week or so ago. It's doing well and feeding. Only issue this far is when she sleeps at night she is low in the rockwork and she digs a hole down to the glass in the substrate every morning by the motion of her fins I think. Anyway to address this so she doesn't dig down to the glass everyday? A pic of the substrate and the offending fish is attached.

IMG_8609.jpeg

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious...do you see this as a problem? It seems like she likes to dig a little burrow to sleep in. Unless you can't stand the look of it, I wouldn't worry too much. You could also give her something else in the hopes she'll use that as a home, like a anemone or a flowy coral like a torch or frogspawn.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my clowns have their little hole where they live, they dig it and clean it daily, no snails or asterina's allowed near the hole, its normal

OP
OP
baldislife

baldislife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your replies. Really I do see it mainly a cosmetic issue. Maybe I will let her do her thing and just accept as part of the aquarium for now. The master plan is eventually to get a nem for her to host hopefully but I think the prevailing wisdom is to wait until 6 months before adding to a tank correct?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I just cycled a 45 gallon tank and placed a Sebae Clown in the display a week or so ago. It's doing well and feeding. Only issue this far is when she sleeps at night she is low in the rockwork and she digs a hole down to the glass in the substrate every morning by the motion of her fins I think. Anyway to address this so she doesn't dig down to the glass everyday? A pic of the substrate and the offending fish is attached.

IMG_8609.jpeg
My maroon clownfish did this all the time until I gave her a nem, now she sleeps in the nem

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back