OP
OP
reefnewb70

reefnewb70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense with mucus separating from FW dip. Realize this step only provided Temporary relief. Im aware of canada issue with meds making it difficult. Other than Formalin, are you able to get a hold of ruby rally reef pro? This will take longer but work.
Another although not the actual treatment would be PraziPro. Note that prazi will reduce both appetite and oxygen.
You can increase oxygen with an airstone now which may be part of their distress right now. ASSURE ALSO THAT AMMONIA LEVEL IS NOT HIGH (above .03)
Lastly, do note also that as cute as they are, COWFISH is very difficult to keep in captivity and rarely are long lived in an aquarium. When they perish, they can release toxins that may have caused the death of the other two fish. Adding chemipure blue will prevent effects of toxins in your tank and improve water quality. Lights out will likely do nothing for the fish but you can
Cow was the last to die Saturday morning. Perimeters are all perfect. Salinity dead on. I will have to see if I can find Ruby and anything is worth a try. The pictures as well as detail was in a previous thread.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Cow was the last to die Saturday morning. Perimeters are all perfect. Salinity dead on. I will have to see if I can find Ruby and anything is worth a try. The pictures as well as detail was in a previous thread.
When you say parameters are perfect. . . . . What are your numbers , mainly Ammonia, nitrate, ph, tank temp and what salinity level?
What test kits are you using and what instrument are you using to test salinity ?

OP
OP
reefnewb70

reefnewb70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say parameters are perfect. . . . . What are your numbers , mainly Ammonia, nitrate, ph, tank temp and what salinity level?
What test kits are you using and what instrument are you using to test salinity ?
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Tank Temp 78
Ph: 8.1
Salinity 1.025
Red Sea test kit
Refractometer (not sure Brand)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Tank Temp 78
Ph: 8.1
Salinity 1.025
Red Sea test kit
Refractometer (not sure Brand)
Im assuming this is a new/newer tank?

OP
OP
reefnewb70

reefnewb70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipped them this afternoon and stuff fell off. Now this is on one of them again. Other is in corner.

Attachments

• 2FB28ADA-0B66-447B-99CE-E407EBB5DEC7.jpeg
    2FB28ADA-0B66-447B-99CE-E407EBB5DEC7.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
reefnewb70

reefnewb70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd thing is in the middle of the night it was the pair that looked like it was going to die. But this morning. The one not in the corner is swimming around and ate.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    32.2 MB

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Odd thing is in the middle of the night it was the pair that looked like it was going to die. But this morning. The one not in the corner is swimming around and ate.
Im sure this is brook. Sorry for loss of a beautiful fish. At tank age. . . i would focus on 2-3 fish for a couple of months before adding additional allowing tank to further mature.
When purchasing fish ,,,:
Ask staff to feed fish and assure it eats
observe breathing-should not be rapid
observe how it interact with other fish in tank
Observe its swimming behavior- should not be erratic
Look skin and fins over for any imperfections

OP
OP
reefnewb70

reefnewb70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying not to be devastated and debate a coral tank only. I am assuming, the other fish will not be long after. We have ordered medicines etc completely disappointed in ourselves we didn’t assume this could happen in a new tank. We will be setting up a QT tank and do the four week, are you ok to go in tank! We deal with one LFS {who have been wonderful} and honestly we watched all fish and thought they looked healthy. We have had to trust as we are new. Learning lessons.

OP
OP
reefnewb70

reefnewb70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying not to be devastated and debate a coral tank only. I am assuming, the other fish will not be long after. We have ordered medicines etc completely disappointed in ourselves we didn’t assume this could happen in a new tank. We will be setting up a QT tank and do the four week, are you ok to go in tank! We deal with one LFS {who have been wonderful} and honestly we watched all fish and thought they looked healthy. We have had to trust as we are new. Learning lessons.
These two passed last night.

Attachments

• CABBD734-0E5F-4787-90E3-42EA5DFF6A4B.jpeg
    CABBD734-0E5F-4787-90E3-42EA5DFF6A4B.jpeg
    347 KB · Views: 29
  • 815F49E2-7F70-4A0F-AA46-FAEE47B8DB1B.jpeg
    815F49E2-7F70-4A0F-AA46-FAEE47B8DB1B.jpeg
    350.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 930BC831-27B8-4962-962E-D4DA6B061556.jpeg
    930BC831-27B8-4962-962E-D4DA6B061556.jpeg
    424 KB · Views: 32
  • C0C6A484-2C0C-4106-928C-633E50A46EB9.jpeg
    C0C6A484-2C0C-4106-928C-633E50A46EB9.jpeg
    356.5 KB · Views: 43

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same happened to me. A lesson I took being new to this is to QT and possibly treat as soon as new fish are purchased. Set up another tank 10 gallon or so and keep as a observation/Qt tank. I Qt all new purchases for a couple of months except shrimp and livestock that doesn’t need or require long Qt times. Sorry bout the losses....don’t question your husbandry or doubt yourself (admittedly I did my own). Again this is a teaching moment. Read up on qt methods.

OP
OP
reefnewb70

reefnewb70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same happened to me. A lesson I took being new to this is to QT and possibly treat as soon as new fish are purchased. Set up another tank 10 gallon or so and keep as a observation/Qt tank. I Qt all new purchases for a couple of months except shrimp and livestock that doesn’t need or require long Qt times. Sorry bout the losses....don’t question your husbandry or doubt yourself (admittedly I did my own). Again this is a teaching moment. Read up on qt methods.
I find it hard. Especially since I’ve heard it’s brook, velvet and ICH. We are not even sure what it is! So many opinions that defer from LFS. Confused. Our tank was wiped out by it. Last two fish, a pj and gobby are not long for world.
We are not finger pointers but just want to understand what this was. I’ve read up on all these and know what they are but now what! When they are so different and yet do not know definitively which it was.
We do know our parameters are good. But what the heck is in the water!! Poor babies.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently, these things (ich,velvet n brook) exist in the ocean as well. From what I’ve read, a good diet that consists of frozen foods helps a ton in the fish fighting off the diseases and almost all fish in LFS has some sort of disease but it’s the stress that induces it. I felt horrible losing so many fish so quickly that I decided to start qt’ing and treating fish from the get go. It’s not as hard as it sounds. I went fallow for 76 days. Only fish who survived the entire process were my clown n yellow watchman. I also feed only frozen mysis now. I must have lost about 5 fish before realizing there was a problem. It sucks for sure.

OP
OP
reefnewb70

reefnewb70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it hard. Especially since I’ve heard it’s brook, velvet and ICH. We are not even sure what it is! So many opinion that defer from LFS. Confused. Out tank was wiped out by it. Last two fish, a pj and gobby are not long for world.
We are not finger pointers but just want to understand what this was. I’ve read up on all these and know what they are but now what! When they are so different and yet do not know definitively which it was.
Apparently, these things (ich,velvet n brook) exist in the ocean as well. From what I’ve read, a good diet that consists of frozen foods helps a ton in the fish fighting off the diseases and almost all fish in LFS has some sort of disease but it’s the stress that induces it. I felt horrible losing so many fish so quickly that I decided to start qt’ing and treating fish from the get go. It’s not as hard as it sounds. I went fallow for 76 days. Only fish who survived the entire process were my clown n yellow watchman. I also feed only frozen mysis now. I must have lost about 5 fish before realizing there was a problem. It sucks for sure.
yes definitely we have purchased a QT tank and will go this route. Quite devastated really. We fed a combination of pellets, brine and mysis. Our blue tang was with us only three days when she swiftly had a coating and died. The next two followed suit and then my clowns and pj pants. Fast!!

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 58 29.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 23 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back