Clown selection

With a pair of clowns

• Total voters

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 90long tank going. The idea is for it to end up being a "community" reef, peaceful for the most part is the hope. We want a pair of clowns... (I know;Facepalm) a. ocellaris seems to be the best bet. I really like the look and idea of symbiosis but I am torn on the idea of a nem. BTA's seem to be the only choice for a tank my size and hoping for it to remain somewhat stationary after settling in. BTA also rules out a. ocellaris for natural symbosis. Corals will take priority in this tank if the choice is coral or nem.

My questions is, what is your experience with other species of clowns (the traditional looking ones, not skunks) in a peaceful tank? Do I ditch the idea of a nem and just get a pair of a. ocellaris and hope they don't beat future corals to death?

Stock list:
Have:
Blotched Foxface
High Fin Red Banded Goby
Royal Gramma Basslet
Firefish (4)
Naoko's (I know this one is almost a joke), Orange Back and Lubbock's Fairy Wrasses

Want:
a. randalli pistol shrimp for my Goby
Sailfin Blenny
Bristletooth Tomini or Kole Yellow Eye Tang

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pair of Gold nugget clowns would work

download.jpg

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maroons will accept any nem given, and they are actually natural to BTA
Clarkis will too, but both of these can be on the aggressive end.

I personally prefer sand dwellers in a mixed reef for the average nem/clown keeper, easier to contain to sand bed, and LTA or Malu would be a good choice there, and Malu would be my preference among the 2, as it stays smaller, bright colors, lays low, and often accepted quickly even by non natural match clown species.

I personally prefer percula to ocellaris, similar still, but I've just had better luck w/ them taking non natural match's like LTA and Malu.
This is probably a good starting point for you.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my last Malu hosting one of my picasso's(percula variant)

This shows max size of malu, typical placement and posture, easy to keep from corals on rockwork.

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking into them now. My concern is space needed as I covered a lot of ground with my rock work. That would be a nice addition to the bottom. I thinking I may have enough room in one of the front corners (1&2). The right side archway (3) would visually be ideal but my goby has a cave on either side (green circles) of that and I'm wondering if he would become dinner... He's my favorite fish. lol
IMG_1037.jpg

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For both LTA and malu I prefer near a ledgey area so they can pull in or out of light as they'd like, so #2 area could work, but I agree #3 would be visually nice and may also work as well.

Most fish are pretty smart and know what to avoid, malu are smaller w/ shorter tentacles, it probably would not be an issue, but I have no hands on exp w/ cave dwelling gobies.

Malu max at 8-10" diamter , smallest of host anemone's FYI.

That tank does look like it needs to mature some, so take your time.

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock circle 2 is touching makes a nice overhang/ledge on the back side. That side of the tank has a nice view from much of the house as well. That could work. I'm going to look for goby/nem horror stories and see if I can convince myself to try #3. Thanks for the info!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back