Clown tang care? Info?

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love clown tangs, but have red they are extremely difficult to train for food? Would like to know from someone who has got good experience training them in qt. What to feed them? Etc.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't own a clown tang but i have had luck getting a picky leopard wrasse to eat by hatching live brine shrimp. it only took that one feeding and every time after that it was receptive to almost anything i normally fed my fish.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nls thera a, nls algaemax, hikari marine s, sera nori, frozen lobster eggs, frozen rotifers, frozen cyclops and frozen mysis.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 130g is a bit small to house a clown tang, i always reccomend at least a 220 (although bigger is always preferred) +1 to eat breakfast. The food you have would provide a good diet

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One word... aggressive.
Actually i was planning on a tomini, but its gona go in my 42g. Also the availability is very very low here. Regals and powders are ich magnets. I want a super hardy tang. Other tangs we get here are extremely large species like unicorns, naso, etc. We do get sailfins though, but i guess they are also very agressive.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually i was planning on a tomini, but its gona go in my 42g. Also the availability is very very low here. Regals and powders are ich magnets. I want a super hardy tang. Other tangs we get here are extremely large species like unicorns, naso, etc. We do get sailfins though, but i guess they are also very agressive.
A 42g is pretty small for a tomini tang.

Clown tangs are just as susceptible to disease and parasites as regals and powders.

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nanomania, I really didn't want to get in this but honestly I think you need to carefully consider what you are doing and whether it is in the best interests of the fish that you are taking responsibility for. You already have an acanthuras tang that is showing signs of stress that could be tank size related, I just can't see how adding another tang could end well. I wish the best for you and yours.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nanomania, I really didn't want to get in this but honestly I think you need to carefully consider what you are doing and whether it is in the best interests of the fish that you are taking responsibility for. You already have an acanthuras tang that is showing signs of stress that could be tank size related, I just can't see how adding another tang could end well. I wish the best for you and yours.
So ur suggesting i dont add any more tangs in 130g? Jus keep 1 which ill transfer?

Friday24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ur suggesting i dont add any more tangs in 130g? Jus keep 1 which ill transfer?

You could keep more than 1 short term, but they WILL need more room as they grow and need to be re-homed. If you already have an Acanthuras now the your best bet to minimize aggression is a different species, but it's never a guarantee. Like previously stated as well, if your current tang is showing signs of stress adding another right now could increase that stress level and potentially spread a disease to a new fish if it's more than stress.

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Okay now I am rather confused, because just the other day in your thread asking about your tangs behavior you stated that you were not able to get the 130g up yet. If I'm mistaken I apologize but that was the impression you gave. I'm backing out now but please do refer to @eatbreakfast's advice, he knows his stuff.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay now I am rather confused, because just the other day in your thread asking about your tangs behavior you stated that you were not able to get the 130g up yet. If I'm mistaken I apologize but that was the impression you gave. I'm backing out now but please do refer to @eatbreakfast's advice, he knows his stuff.
Hey, yes, im actually pre planning. As u know my new 130g is going thru ****, as no1 is abke to figure out the problem after soo many posts. So plannin to trash it if api general cure with focus doesnt work. Yes im confused about the other tang. Ibknow most of them are suggesting a tomini or a kole, but peraonally after seeing tomini in person, i didnt like the colour also as stated by u guys, even 42g is small fir it.. Kole is way out of my budget as here in india they are expensive. I know im sounding silly. However iv seen some of the famous hobbyists on youtube keeping far more tangs then one can keep in a tank. However i follow a thumbrule of 6" of fish per 10g. Is that ok? I love gobies clowns and tangs. Total fishes in my 130g will be 10 max. 2tangs, a pair of clowns and rest all will be gobies. I personally dont like damsels.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to get a lot of critics on this but I believe you can get more than one tang in a 130G. I keep a blue, a sailfin, and a purple tang in my 125 and they are fat and growing fast. However I am building an 8- foot long 300 gallon tank. Right now none of my tangs exceeds 6 inches. I really think you can get multiple tangs in a 130 as long as you plan ahead and QT properly.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to get a lot of critics on this but I believe you can get more than one tang in a 130G. I keep a blue, a sailfin, and a purple tang in my 125 and they are fat and growing fast. However I am building an 8- foot long 300 gallon tank. Right now none of my tangs exceeds 6 inches. I really think you can get multiple tangs in a 130 as long as you plan ahead and QT properly.
Im not getting any new tang, as my acanthurus poops like hell. She is a crazy pooper..lol. so nonmore tangs. Rather ill buy more small small gobies type fishes

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible, yes. But based on the experience in this case is why it was recommended against.

Back