Clown turned evil.

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've had a juvenile snowflake and a juvenile black ice clown in our tank for the past few months, they were peaceful and didn't bother anybody. The black ice passed away three weeks ago. Starting about 4 days ago the snowflake has suddenly become very aggressive. Nobody can put their hand or any foreign object in the tank without the clown charging and nipping repeatedly. Will adding another clown tone down the aggression?

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is common for most clowns, my Red Dot goes after anything I stick in the tank even if I'm just moving rocks with tongs. Getting another clown may or may not make a difference.

Last edited:

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
We've had a juvenile snowflake and a juvenile black ice clown in our tank for the past few months, they were peaceful and didn't bother anybody. The black ice passed away three weeks ago. Starting about 4 days ago the snowflake has suddenly become very aggressive. Nobody can put their hand or any foreign object in the tank without the clown charging and nipping repeatedly. Will adding another clown tone down the aggression?
Clownfish are jerks. I had to buy shoulder length rubber gloves. When they are going, they don't do it but one day...boom

OP
OP
I

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they can be jerks, I've had clowns in the past, but have never experienced this from any of them. I was surprised because this one is a little guy, about 1.25" long.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My female clownfish is very weird. The female gets so aggressive to the male whenever I have blue lights on, so I cannot use blue light which is disappointing cause I cannot see the nice colors from my corals and anemone! :(

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh great, I think I'm picking this guy up on Saturday!

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with nearly every clownfish I kept, well except for one I called 'goober' because he was just weird. In general the juveniles and males are pretty easy going. The females are another story. I had a 4" black percula that drew blood any time you put your hand in the tank.

Goober was just weird. He stayed male, even with no other clowns in the tank. He also stayed friendly and loved to swim between my fingers. He was almost a pet and I was said when he passed after 12 years.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I used to LOVE clowns. No more- They A R E Evil !!.

clown bite.png

will25u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren’t ALL evil. I’ve had one for 4-5 years and she is such a good girl; a chunky misbar gold stripe maroon clown.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a female White Wyoming who used to bite when anything went into her space. Not anymore, she’s going on 10 yrs. now she swims right up to my hand and brushes against it. Not every clown remains evil. She’s actually changed color,added a nice black circle on her top fin, for the lack of correct wording, where it used to be a small black line just on the tip.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely it became a female and is being protective. Adding more won't stop that behavior and she could kill the new ones unless they are very small and most likely male.

OP
OP
I

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely it became a female and is being protective. Adding more won't stop that behavior and she could kill the new ones unless they are very small and most likely male.

We added a pair of perks to our tank, the snowflake tamed down again. We are selling it though because I know as they all grow, there will be trouble. I think this one just needs another clown to keep it in line.

Oh great, I think I'm picking this guy up on Saturday!
I think so!

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on the individual specimens.
Just like a horse isn't necessary aggressive but they can be.

I received a very juvenile fish with a damaged pectoral fin and the female I already had obviously started being bossy towards the new addition. The juvenile started panicking but the bigger fish noticed it. I had made sure the smaller fish had escape routes and it kept it's distance to the dominant fish until the dominant fish was actually capable of luring the new addition closer. The dominant fish stopped chasing and started focusing on luring instead; and as a result it became a very calm and friendly specimen.

My female clownfish is very weird. The female gets so aggressive to the male whenever I have blue lights on, so I cannot use blue light which is disappointing cause I cannot see the nice colors from my corals and anemone! :(

If you have the option, make sure the smaller fish have better escape routes and turn the blue light on, starting with short periods.

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always debating them, but so far have resisted. The temptation to add them to the 14g biocube is very strong, but they would probably eat the RFA eggs, which would defeat the whole purpose.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back