Clownfish acting different with dents in his head??

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This clownfish went through a 30-day QT with light medication. It’s been 10 days since he(or she) was added to the display and as of last night he hasn’t been moving much. He is opening and closing his mouth rapidly, and there is a singular white spot on his chin. He also had little dents in his head. 0 ammonia, nitrates, or nitrates (which I do need to bump up) and every other fish, including his mate, is doing good. Same with corals. He is eating properly. Any idea what this could be and how to treat it?

Attachments

• IMG_4416.MOV
    32.1 MB

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it swimming into the flow? Breathing fast?
White light pics would help a lot.

Nitrates are the one you want a bit of, that will likely happen naturally.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can you provide any still pics under white lighting? Unable to view video on my phone
Often pinched head deformity is hereditary often with captive bred clowns and also from starvation

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say you used “light medication” , that set off a concern for me that the process may not have been effective. Can you explain how you treated this fish?
Jay

OP
OP
squidarcher

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it swimming into the flow? Breathing fast?
White light pics would help a lot.

Nitrates are the one you want a bit of, that will likely happen naturally.

this is the best video I can get, as he is in the back of the tank. He is also no longer eating.

OP
OP
squidarcher

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to catch him and he is still able to move fast enough to escape the net, which I’m hoping is a good sign. I’ll try feeding frozen again and see if he takes it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used one round of Ruby Reef’s rally pro.
That very likely didn’t fully break the life cycle. You may need to retreat with a stronger medication. Take a look at the quarantine sticky at the top of the fish disease forum.

Jay

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any alternative? Because my quarantine tank is 15 gallons, I’m looking for another job, and finals are coming up. There are 16 other fish in the tank as well.
Unfortunately these are the types of disease where if one fish has it, the rest do. Only 100% effective way to beat it is to treat everyone.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flow for the tank comes from the output nozzle of the filter or the powerhead in the tank. Sometimes fish do it for exercise or jus the cause they are weird, but it also will be to get more oxygen. Since diseases like velvet attack the gills, fish will swim into the flow to try to get more oxygen.

Back