Clownfish aggression in QT; tail fin bite

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have two new clowns in QT (Cupramine); they've been in QT for around 10 days and everything seemed to be fine. This is my first saltwater tank and fish. Water is good, copper levels spot on, I feed them RN Chroma 1-2x. This morning I noticed the smaller one has a bite out of his tail fin... when watching the fish I hadn't noticed any aggression. I left my phone playing and stepped away. Over 20 minutes I saw two instances of the larger clown giving a quick warning to the smaller. I haven't seen him shake or submit; only quickly swimming away. They swim next to each other all the time when I'm there and via phone recording; the larger seems to prefer the PVC pipes while the smaller swims all over with no fear or care.

This little guy is around 1-1.25" and the larger around 1.50-1.75"

I have clear Acrylic tank divider I could put in the QT. Would this be recommended? I read it will grow back providing its not deep enough to the bone? I know this is expected, but wondering how much should be tolerated before some temporary separation. Thank you!

fish.png

Not sure if this is the right forum section, if not could a Moderator please move it? Thanks!

Last edited:

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like they are figuring out the pair dynamic and hierarchy. First thing I’d do is try adding more hiding spots and see if that helps calm them down. If that doesn’t work, you can add a divider.
It will heal as long as it doesn’t continue to get worse.

OP
OP
dr_vinnie_boombatz

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I added some more PVC connectors and put the divider in place for a few days. Doing some reading I also will order an acclimation box for the DT

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back