Clownfish Aggression

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reef friends,

I know people have dealt with this situation before many times but I need some advise. I purchased 2 Black Ice Long Fins a month in half ago. They were doing well with one another but recently... I noticed my slightly bigger one really on my smaller ones back. It got worse since yesterday when I noticed one of his fins were messed up. I was told let it go but today when I got home, it was worse as the back, bottom, top and side fins were messed up. He seemed scared to come out the top left corner of the tank. The good thing is he still eats and haven’t lost color.

I have seen both of them do the shake dance but mainly, it’s the little one doing it 85% of the time.

Since I didn’t really know what to do to save my expensive little guy, I bought a breeder net and put him in there to give him time to heal and a fighting chance to get back in the tank again.

What shall I do? Please help.

3371C439-3421-41B4-AA77-74F3EE3AD84B.png 55CE79A0-C6F0-4F8F-8651-949FA6770FC0.png

Last edited:

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your bigger one is becoming a female and they are figuring out dominance issues. It should pass over time. Like mentioned above, put the bigger one in the breeding net. After a day or so, release her. If the behavior continues, then repeat.

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your bigger one is becoming a female and they are figuring out dominance issues. It should pass over time. Like mentioned above, put the bigger one in the breeding net. After a day or so, release her. If the behavior continues, then repeat.
Oh I didn’t know about putting the bigger one in. Okay, I’ll catch the bigger and put him in the breeder tonight.

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the > bullied fish in isolation box/net to recover.

While it gets better, rearrange something so it can escape easier (like they would in nature). Reunite the fishes and let the female learn how to lure, rather than chase.

Good luck :)

Last edited:

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the mean fish in the box, not the one getting bullied. Putting the bullied fish in the box will merely allow the mean fish to continue to establish its territory. You want the opposite.

NHgoalstop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and not the smaller one? Does that how it works?
Not clownfish but when I put my six line in my tank my damsel attacked it relentlessly. Well I wasnt about to let a $5 fish kill a $60 fish so I banished it to the sump for 2 weeks. When I put it back in the display tank I've had zero issues with him. I'm sure it will work on them also.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi i'm on board with time out for mama ,little guy will come to iso box she will settle down usually couple days ,if not couple more ,and sing to her ,30 days in the hole lol wont help but fun,good luck

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I see people persist in their advice here.

If you see an adult human beat a child, you would not say "the beatings will stop once the child shakes each time the adult lift their hand".

Have fun and enjoy your fishes :)

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the mean fish in the box, not the one getting bullied. Putting the bullied fish in the box will merely allow the mean fish to continue to establish its territory. You want the opposite.
Correct, i was thinking the same thing could happen. I think I am going to leave her in there for about 5 days. I’ll continue feed like I usually do. I think this will work. Thank you.

Here is a pic of them. Size wise... the left one is slightly bigger.
B4282077-87B7-4575-B8B1-B73A622C9BF8.jpeg

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just give them places with good hidingspots and good flow.

The bigger fish will have more surface resistance than the smaller fish and the smaller fish will flee the bigger fish.

The bigger fish will start to ---> lure <--- it's mate instead of chasing it. With the force tactic, you make dysfunctional and aggressive female clownfish but its your own choice ofc.

Best wishes and good luck :)

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The female here, is all but eating the male.

Idk if you would CHOOSE to be with a partner that had already cannibalised you somewhat, but I think you people should stop generalising your advice so much, and perhaps let the fishes just have enough space to avoid eachother when they WANT to do so.

Clowns aren't good for reef community tanks and the string of advice here, kinda proves that y'all are trying to ignore that and force it, rather than giving actually beneficial advice now that people choose to constantly add clowns to reef tanks anyway :)

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are very opinionated on this for someone who has never even asked the OP the tank size or asked for a FTS to make any sort of claim on if there's enough hiding space or not.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the aggressor is relentlessly chasing the smaller clown all over the tank, definitely put the aggressor in time out. If the problem mainly occurs when the smaller clown gets near the larger one, let behavior and damage be the determining factors-- clown stops eating, won't leave hiding spot, excessive damage, etc. There is always a chance that by separating the two, the smaller clown will build a stronger urge for dominance, which would just exacerbate the problem. Remember, both of the fish want to be the dominant female, which is what all of the ruckus is about in the first place. Another option might be to put both in the sump (if you have one), which would give them a new setting with no established territories.

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are very opinionated on this for someone who has never even asked the OP the tank size or asked for a FTS to make any sort of claim on if there's enough hiding space or not.

Do you know those kinds of people who wanna keep four ferrets, five cats, three dogs, ten parrots, twenty mice, two chinchillas and a monkey under the same roof?

Idc how big your house is, but everyone likes to hear that people treat their pets right :)

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop giving horrible advice, just give proper advice to people so they can make their choices work out right, that is all I am asking, have a nice time y'all :) !

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The female here, is all but eating the male.

Idk if you would CHOOSE to be with a partner that had already cannibalised you somewhat, but I think you people should stop generalising your advice so much, and perhaps let the fishes just have enough space to avoid eachother when they WANT to do so.

Clowns aren't good for reef community tanks and the string of advice here, kinda proves that y'all are trying to ignore that and force it, rather than giving actually beneficial advice now that people choose to constantly add clowns to reef tanks anyway :)

How much do you know about clownfish? This is normal clownfish behavior while they settle who is the dominant female. They picker and fight between each other constantly. I have seen breeding pairs go through phases where the male is torn up a little and gets chased off but in the end it’s all good.

Imo the clowns are a little to similar in size to get a nice pair but it can be done. Box the aggressor is the method used when pairing clowns as it’s a time out. Boxing the victim can work but not quite effectively imo.

I’ve seen clowns that were breeding happily for years get in a dispute and the male killed the female because he was of similar size and then turned female and was breed with another male.

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do you know about clownfish? This is normal clownfish behavior while they settle who is the dominant female. They picker and fight between each other constantly. I have seen breeding pairs go through phases where the male is torn up a little and gets chased off but in the end it’s all good.

Imo the clowns are a little to similar in size to get a nice pair but it can be done. Box the aggressor is the method used when pairing clowns as it’s a time out. Boxing the victim can work but not quite effectively imo.

I’ve seen clowns that were breeding happily for years get in a dispute and the male killed the female because he was of similar size and then turned female and was breed with another male.
Thank you for sharing some advise along with everyone else. I currently have the bigger one in a breeders net at the moment. How long should I leave her there is to be determined. I was thinking 3 days and try to let her go and see how they react. The smaller clown could be on the other side of the tank but sometimes she will go over there to mess with him.

i think it’s trial error at this point. Luckily, the smaller one is still eating and not losing color just partiality beat up. The tank isn’t huge or anything it’s a 20 gallon nuvo.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back