Clownfish Aggressive Towards Mate

jrizk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I recently set up a new tank and added two blackice clownfish. They were friendly with each other at first and now recently the one primarily white clownfish keeps attacking the other. They both twitch at each other here and there but the aggression hasn’t stopped. No damage has occurred but the stress is real.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is this normal? Will they get over this or should I just quarantine the aggressor until I can get rid of it?

Video of the clownfish being aggressive.

Thanks!

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're both similarly sized, so the aggression may continue for a while. Generally, if adding a second clown, you'll want something noticeably larger or smaller than the other. I wouldn't worry about it for now--let them figure it out. If the aggression continues, consider rehoming one and introducing another clown that is significantly smaller or larger.

Deephouse_jedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They both seem kinda big. Hopefully they both aren't females. If that's the case they won't stop till 1's dead.

The big question is how long have they been in there for? 1 or 2 days? This might be normal, albeit more aggressive. More then a week? I'd plan to remove 1 and add a much smaller male.

OP
OP
J

jrizk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They both seem kinda big. Hopefully they both aren't females. If that's the case they won't stop till 1's dead.

The big question is how long have they been in there for? 1 or 2 days? This might be normal, albeit more aggressive. More then a week? I'd plan to remove 1 and add a much smaller male.
The more white clownfish is the only aggressor. The other clownfish just submits or runs away. They twitch at each other though. They have been in the same tank for a week now.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back