Clownfish and diamond goby compatibility?

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone !
I have a 10 gallons nano reef tank with a single black-and-white clownfish (female, 3 inches) and another 10 gallons nano reef tank with 2 small ocellaris clownfish (mated couple years ago) .
I would like to add a Diamond Goby to one of these 10 gal. nano tank... is it possible ? Are these 2 tanks already too crowded?
Im also planning to add a Cleaner Shrimp in one of these 2 tanks.... depending on which one is the best.... I really want the best for my nano reef tanks so any advice will be greatly appreciated. Please share any experience with clownfish+cleaner shrimp or clownfish+ diamond goby ☺☺

Thanks in advance! :)

I posted a pic of one of my ten gal. nano tank ...i'll post a picture of the other tank tonight.

AirBrush_20180624123131.jpg

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my other 10 gallons nano reef tank.... ☺ please post any advice if may add a diamond goby with these 2 clowns or with the single black-and-white clownfish in my other 10 gal. Nano reef tank :) (picture in the post upward)

Thanks for any reply !!

20180624_205417.jpg

20180624_205354.jpg

noahreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you for sure wanting a diamond goby? Because they like to make quite the mess in tanks especially in smaller aquariums . Maybe try some different gobies such as a clown goby?

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you for sure wanting a diamond goby? Because they like to make quite the mess in tanks especially in smaller aquariums . Maybe try some different gobies such as a clown goby?

When you say that they make a mess...you mean they they are sand sifters?

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first I wanted a clown goby but sadly they are not available around here and I am uncomfortable about buying them on the net... plus I thought that a sand sifting fish could be helpful around the tank ☺ ... but im such a newbie I need advice before buying

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond goby are fun, but frustrating. They will move sand to make homes under the rocks. They don't care where they put the sand. Corals on the sand bed will be at risk. And they like to have multiple homes/exit points.

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had diamond gobies and the smallest tank was a 29g with a good 2-3in of well established sand. I think they’re a great fish, maybe if you could find a real small one for your 10g would do good. I’ve had no problem with aggression ever from them. Dustin

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had diamond gobies and the smallest tank was a 29g with a good 2-3in of well established sand. I think they’re a great fish, maybe if you could find a real small one for your 10g would do good. I’ve had no problem with aggression ever from them. Dustin

Is it wise to have 2 ocellaris clownfish with a small diamond goby in a 10 gallons or would it be too overcrowded??

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it wise to have 2 ocellaris clownfish with a small diamond goby in a 10 gallons or would it be too overcrowded??
I think it would be to over crowded honestly. Have you looked into maybe a rainsford goby? If your clowns are a mated pair they might show aggression towards any new tank mates also. Dustin

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be to over crowded honestly. Have you looked into maybe a rainsford goby? If your clowns are a mated pair they might show aggression towards any new tank mates also. Dustin

Yeah they are a mated pair...i might as well forget about adding any more fish then

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they are a mated pair...i might as well forget about adding any more fish then
Issue is your tank is too small to add anymore fish. I'm get at least a 40 so you have room to play with. You can easily get a 40G breeder from Petco with their 1$ per gallon deal.

With that you'll have more options as to what you can introduce

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond gobies get surprisingly large, so not a good choice for 10g.

Sand sifting stars deplete the sandbed of beneficial microfauna, so I advise against them as well.

Nassarius snails are very effective scavengers and bury when not looking for food.

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought they looked pretty grumpy haha but i might like them ...i'll check and see if they are affordable / available around me ☺

SteadyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goby will starve in a small tank. They love fauna in the sand and is their preferred food. They will eat frozen food, but it’s not their primary need. I had one in a 110, and even that didn’t have enough sand for it to sift through and be happy, even though it ate frozen foods also. They are the most active sifters.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you like gobys
photo.jpg
just saying

Typically everyone I see with a small nano(or pico) tank, they'l usually have a clown or 2. A goby, and some type of cool little invert. Other then the clown gobys, the others get fairly large for that size of an aquarium. Although it may be a little crowded. The watchmen variety are cool, so are the jawfish - they're pretty funny. Theyll stay perched up and put on quite a show.

But then again you said your new to the hobby, an upgraded tank clouds your mind untill you get one lol. As long as you've done your research, keep them fed and your maintenance is on point. You should be fine

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goby will starve in a small tank. They love fauna in the sand and is their preferred food. They will eat frozen food, but it’s not their primary need. I had one in a 110, and even that didn’t have enough sand for it to sift through and be happy, even though it ate frozen foods also. They are the most active sifters.

What specie was your goby ? :)...they are so charming!

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like gobys
photo.jpg
just saying

Typically everyone I see with a small nano(or pico) tank, they'l usually have a clown or 2. A goby, and some type of cool little invert. Other then the clown gobys, the others get fairly large for that size of an aquarium. Although it may be a little crowded. The watchmen variety are cool, so are the jawfish - they're pretty funny. Theyll stay perched up and put on quite a show.

But then again you said your new to the hobby, an upgraded tank clouds your mind untill you get one lol. As long as you've done your research, keep them fed and your maintenance is on point. You should be fine
Nice little fellow :D !!
I'll go check for a Jawfish....any personal or specific experience you know about ? :) nothing beats personal / friendly advice

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 57 31.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 48 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 37 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back