Clownfish and diamond goby compatibility?

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL true statement! But there is a difference between normal "picky" and "I will starve to death before I eat what you give me" picky. Rainsford gobies fall in the 2nd group. They often will only eat hair algae - so if you have a clean tank or quarantine in a sterile tank that limits chances of success. I had one that I offered every form of food available...it still starved :(

Captive bred are supposed to be easier. Idk if that's true but it makes sense.

My Rainford did that. I finally got him eating LRS Reef Frenzy but it was too late at that point.

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Rainford did that. I finally got him eating LRS Reef Frenzy but it was too late at that point.
At least you tried....i imagine its kind of weird losing a fiah because of starvation instead of sickness or parameters

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was so sad I swore I'd never try another wild caught (and I haven't). I see captive bred on DD sometimes but they always sell them in groups of 3. My 75 gal is pretty full. We are moving soon and I'll be upgrading to a 180 gal in the next year (I HOPE). Then I"ll probably order a trio of captive bred.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it wise to have 2 ocellaris clownfish with a small diamond goby in a 10 gallons or would it be too overcrowded??

I recently added a diamond goby to my tank with 2 paired clowns. At first, the largest clown was nipping his tail, but stopped. Now they all get along great. As for making a mess... the goby will move the sand where he wants it, lol. He's made a few tunnels and my sand is no longer flat everywhere... but i like the look he's made. Plus, my sand looks great since he sits it constantly. But, I don't have any citations on my sand... and don't plan on having any done i have him in the tank now. Make sure you have a good screen top, though...i lost 2 to jumping before finally being able to secure this one totally in the tank!

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My diamond goby keeps the sand really clean, and has a ton of personality....and has killed at least one sand dwelling coral in the process. Part of my nightly routine is blowing sand off of the coral s he has buried LOL. But I like him :)

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a diamond goby to my tank with 2 paired clowns. At first, the largest clown was nipping his tail, but stopped. Now they all get along great. As for making a mess... the goby will move the sand where he wants it, lol. He's made a few tunnels and my sand is no longer flat everywhere... but i like the look he's made. Plus, my sand looks great since he sits it constantly. But, I don't have any citations on my sand... and don't plan on having any done i have him in the tank now. Make sure you have a good screen top, though...i lost 2 to jumping before finally being able to secure this one totally in the tank!

Thank you very much for your input !
Its valuable since I too have a pair of clowns...i need to upgrade my tank to a bigger one though...and add a safe top too ! Do you think a mesh cover is enough?

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Om
My diamond goby keeps the sand really clean, and has a ton of personality....and has killed at least one sand dwelling coral in the process. Part of my nightly routine is blowing sand off of the coral s he has buried LOL. But I like him :)
Omg he buries the corals hahahah wow thats like having a tornado in your tank xd xd

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for your input !
Its valuable since I too have a pair of clowns...i need to upgrade my tank to a bigger one though...and add a safe top too ! Do you think a mesh cover is enough?

I have a screen top over the track AMD it seems to be sufficient. I thunk the depth of a 75g tank helps to keep the goby more at the bottom. When i was quarantining in a 10g tank, I had 2 diamond gobies jump to their deaths. The QT was initially only covered with egg crate... then i added a mesh under the egg crate and the second goby still found the only opening near the fillet water entrance! I covered that owning and put a heavy weight on the cover and finally got the 3rd one to stay in the tank to complete quarantine.

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a screen top over the track AMD it seems to be sufficient. I thunk the depth of a 75g tank helps to keep the goby more at the bottom. When i was quarantining in a 10g tank, I had 2 diamond gobies jump to their deaths. The QT was initially only covered with egg crate... then i added a mesh under the egg crate and the second goby still found the only opening near the fillet water entrance! I covered that owning and put a heavy weight on the cover and finally got the 3rd one to stay in the tank to complete quarantine.

Omg thats really something ! Its quite crazy how they jump often and so easily i really am scared now to get any jumpers ! Im even scared that my 3 clownfiah might decide to jump too :/

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg thats really something ! Its quite crazy how they jump often and so easily i really am scared now to get any jumpers ! Im even scared that my 3 clownfiah might decide to jump too :/

The screen tops are really simple to make and they look nice. BulkReefSupply had the 1/8" or 1/4" nylon netting and the frame parts are cheap at Home Depot or Lowes.

20180401_083107.jpg

The small slit between the filter and the mesh is where the 2nd goby jumped through in quarantine.

20180401_083059.jpg

Pic of the 10g quarantine top. I filled that back section with a cut to fit egg crate piece that extended up into the filter overflow. That kept the 3rd Goby in quarantine successfully.

20180520_205009.jpg

This is the screen top I made for my 75g tank. The back has an over the rim return line, so I used an egg crate piece for the back few inches (with an underlying mesh to prevent anything jumping through the egg crate holes). I then glued a small cabinet pull (not pictured) on the front screen rim so it's easy to lift the screen top.

20180520_180059.jpg

This is one of the back egg crate pieces with the 1/8" mesh attached.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your use of the needlework mesh _a_lot_, Idoc! Think I'm going to incorporate that into my own QT lid, and perhaps the back of my display, as well.

~Bruce

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your use of the needlework mesh _a_lot_, Idoc! Think I'm going to incorporate that into my own QT lid, and perhaps the back of my display, as well.

~Bruce

It's working very well. I believe I found that mesh at a JoAnn Fabric store. That extra 3/4" that's bigger than the egg crate blocks the gap between the egg crate and the screen top. Hope it works for you!

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The screen tops are really simple to make and they look nice. BulkReefSupply had the 1/8" or 1/4" nylon netting and the frame parts are cheap at Home Depot or Lowes.

20180401_083107.jpg

The small slit between the filter and the mesh is where the 2nd goby jumped through in quarantine.

20180401_083059.jpg

Pic of the 10g quarantine top. I filled that back section with a cut to fit egg crate piece that extended up into the filter overflow. That kept the 3rd Goby in quarantine successfully.

20180520_205009.jpg

This is the screen top I made for my 75g tank. The back has an over the rim return line, so I used an egg crate piece for the back few inches (with an underlying mesh to prevent anything jumping through the egg crate holes). I then glued a small cabinet pull (not pictured) on the front screen rim so it's easy to lift the screen top.

20180520_180059.jpg

wow nice job there!!! :D
I wonder if i could use only mesh or would it be too much smooth ? Here's an example of what im talking about....because i dont have strong lights yet and im sure my corals will lack light if i use something like egg crate ... ;/

230cdf70033d763d5a6dc9b486cad098.jpg

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if i could use only mesh or would it be too much smooth ? Here's an example of what im talking about....because i dont have strong lights yet and im sure my corals will lack light if i use something like egg crate ... ;/

Mesh is perfectly fine. BRS did a video on the effects mesh has on light. It's minimal. They also sell kits to make one.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL true statement! But there is a difference between normal "picky" and "I will starve to death before I eat what you give me" picky. Rainsford gobies fall in the 2nd group. They often will only eat hair algae - so if you have a clean tank or quarantine in a sterile tank that limits chances of success. I had one that I offered every form of food available...it still starved :(

Captive bred are supposed to be easier. Idk if that's true but it makes sense.

I just one about a month ago. Captive bred, from biota in Palau, got him/her from live aquaria. S/he was eating an active within a few hours after I added them to QT and is still doing well.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, you can make a screen top easily from the BRS mesh. It won't effect the lights enough to make a difference. Here's mine on my DT...
15346282916691764112291601103506.jpg

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what you ended up doing? I have a diamondback goby in a 215g tank with 2 mature clowns, he was bored in the 20g quarantine tank! I had one years ago in a 75g, I think that's the right size, just upgrade to a 75 lol My large tank is in the process of being stocked, 2 Tangs are in quarantine right now, being treated for Flukes...highly recommend quarantining fish now!! I never used to, but I'm glad I started to!

The yellow clown goby is a cool fish, I tried to get one online but it died in shipping :( I still plan on getting one for my Biocube 16g, which has 2 black and white clowns and a fire shrimp...who may or may not move to the big tank one day.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
a pistol shrimp yasha goby pair is what I would go with if I had something like a 10 gallon

Yea that combo would be good for a smaller tank and interesting.

I had a diamond goby once and he was cool. Omly issue is he would pick up sand and hover is the tank dropping sand on all my corals.

Then he moved every bit of sand to the back and piled it around one rock.

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20180401_083107.jpg

20180401_083059.jpg

20180520_205009.jpg

20180520_180059.jpg

This is awesome! I made the screen tops with the kit from BRS for my 215, but the cords from the Wav's kind of get in the way. Love the idea of using egg crate like this! I kind of hate the screen...they're too lightweight and don't fit perfectly because of those cords, I know a strong fish could bounce them right off. Also, the moisture and water is splashing out a bit, getting the wood canopy wet and causing mold! It's really annoying, I'm think of going all glass tops, but they so expensive!

I had a large tiger goby in the 215 that managed to squeeze between the top of these screens and the top of the overflow (less than a inch of space) where he got sucked into the pipes and died in my sump on top of a filter :(. No tank size keeps these guys from jumping ship apparently! I had a diamond back previously in a 75g for years, he just up and died one day, no reason..old I guess? Now have new Diamond back goby in the 215, I got needle point netting (not sure it's actual name), from Michaels craft store and used zip ties to attach it to the overflow, covering the top of it, no fish is getting in there!

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Om

Omg he buries the corals hahahah wow thats like having a tornado in your tank xd xd

They work fast too, I don't have corals, but in my 20g QT I have 2 pieces of 1" PVC, my diamond goby completely buried one of the pipes overnight and made himself a home inside. They are characters, fun to watch! He was with my Fire shrimp in QT and they were hysterical together...I separated them but now I feel bad, I may move the shrimp to be with the goby again. Here's a video I made of them together...because the goby was always begging for the shrimps attention... :) (Volume needed, the music makes the video!)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back